this year I have....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello there,
    I'm in my second year of bantam keeping and this year have done lots of hatching - 6 clutches - 6 lemon pooters from ebay (lovely looking birds but slightly sickly - I ended up with just 2 roos (one rehomed) and one hen); 2 marans from a friend (lovely strong roos, both now eaten and v tasty); 6 pekins and 2 silkins from 9 eggs from a local breeder. Very strong chicks, lively and fun, 4 roos, 4 hens 9tho the juries not really sure what the silkins are yet!); 6 mottled pekin eggs incubated with only 1 hatched (another clutch through the post), chick rejected by ma, and fostered by a game bird; 6 d'uccle eggs of which 5 hatched - mille fleur, lavender, black and cuckoo (1 very sick chick died,and one still is weak) and lastly 6 silver partridge dutch ebay eggs, only one hatched, beautifully marked but killed by the broody (she flung it from the nest).

Have fettled up a second hen house and showed two birds - a lemon pooter (who was too young) and a mille fleur d'uccle who got a third (out of four!).
    Have also eaten my first hatchling, and am wondering about going on a 'dispatching and dressing course' ready for next year? has anyone been on one?
    I've had northern fowl mite, lice, cocciodosis (suspected), ascites and a wheezy bird, a suspected eggbound Dutch bantam (died), a d'uccle died (unknown cause and very sudden) and one roo found hanging upside down caught by his feet in the netting (survived).
    Quite a year!
    JM

Comment

Whew! feel exhausted. Looks like E~~y is a no no.

Comment

I think the best thing is to get the breed you want and then hatch your own. I've had hit and miss with Flea bay. But when they have worked I have kept a note of the sellers

Comment

Its hit and miss on Fleabay. My first hatch was the best (ebay) but on balance its better to go and pick the eggs up yourself - it gives you a chnace to look at the birds and how they are kept I think!

Comment

just aquired 3 marans =0) by accident of course

Comment

teehee

Comment

As of tomorrow I am getting a few fancy chickens (a trio of Cuckoo Araucanas and 2 Black Australorps) to join my 15 rescue hens!!!!!

Attached Files
                Last edited by janzbro; 27-02-2016, 02:02 AM.
                82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X