Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all, I've not been on for a while - this summer has been EXTRA busy. I hope everyone is well and their poultry too.
    I have 15 birds now, time for some to go, and have been showing a lot (for me) this summer, which I wouldn't call 'fun' - it probably fits into the 'experience' slot! Washing and drying birds before a show takes me hours!
    I had some good hatches this year from my own eggs and also helped some friends by raising their goslings in my shed under a bulb. They have to be the cutest birds ever. Hoping to enjoy them later this year ;-).
    I don't know why but I've had little disease this year. Possibly because I haven't brought new birds in, or eggs. Scaly mite on one hen but that's it (as far as I can see). The wet here is awful though, I've had to spread limestone chippings down so they can walk somewhere that drains well. Also laid some new turf for them after clearing some old blackcurrant bushes and nettle stands. Sounds mad, but grass seed has no chance to get away, even covered with weld mesh frames!
    I hope to reduce the flock by a third, and hatch more next spring. I even come to love my roosters (even more than my hens!).
    If I don't get on here again before the festivities commence, happy Christmas all!
    C

Comment

• Good to hear from you again JM (C) and glad you have had a good year. Keep popping in and updating us.

Comment

• Thought I would share this with you

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo...ser=1807262347
        Attached Files
        When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
        If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

• ^^ I saw that on FB and shared it, too - made me laff!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• ok , i saw that too - we must all be on fb and possibly friends already - message me lol!

Comment

• Fingers crossed - I think I may just have (hopefully) sorted my chook door-opener thingy. I had to put a new cord on it, and it didn't like the first one I tried, so I had to get another sort. Ruddy thing wouldn't stop when the door was closed, it just kept on unwinding the cord until it came to the end and the loop came off the screw. Just summoned the enthusiasm to go out and test it a few times, and it's stopping where it should. Tonight I'll know for sure.

Comment

• Update: Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Bummocks!

Comment

• The two eggs I collected this morning, one teeny one huge! I've never seen such a small egg, or such a large one!
                  Attached Files
                  The best things in life are not things.

Comment

• I have that too Verinda, not quite that small but huge difference in some of them.

G4 - you are not inspiring me to get an automatic door thingy! I thought it would be nice for the door to open in the morning for them... but I'm worrying about foxes and doors now. Shan't be asking Santa for one this year till you get it sorted
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• I did buy mine back in 1998 Feral! I can recommend them.

Comment

• Our chook house wouldn't be easy to fit one to, but I'm worried about the foxes getting in.

I do like the thought of them being able to get themselves out in the morning tho. Not that it's a long way down the hill to the chook house. Just that by the time you fill in 3 wombat holes, let the dogs off, then go get the chookfood from the hayshed and dodge the horses who'd like to relieve you of the chook food.
                        Well just saying it would be simpler if I just had to fill in the wombat holes and wait at the hay shed for the chooks.
                        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Fortunately (there had to be one plus point!!) Hubby goes out for a smoke in the morning, whilst the kettle's heating up, so he wanders down and lets 'em out and chucks 'em some pellets. We also have a rodent problem since the colder weather has set in (we back onto fields, and several neighbours have chooks), so I'm no longer leaving the feed out overnight. At least we don't have wombats to contend with - I don't envy you!

Comment

• My battie hens stand out in the rain getting drenched and today they were hammered by hail and didn't seem to notice. Is that what regular hens do or is it because they've had such an abnormal life up until now, being in a stuffy barn?

I tempted them into the henhouse with some corn but as soon as it was eaten out they went again!!

And...lock me up...I've hung a Christmas star in the henhouse!!! I'm sure they love it! Hahaha!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Verinda View Post
                              And...lock me up...I've hung a Christmas star in the henhouse!!! I'm sure they love it! Hahaha!!
                              It'll be covered in chicken deposits in the morning!

Comment

• It's hanging from the ceiling, they'd be doing well to reach it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X