Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done you! I don't like doing it either, but I know I have to sometimes. Glad I don't have large fowl though - I don't think I could manage it!

Comment

• I had my last 4 Hubbards "done" this week. They were massive but very active. My man wot duz them jointed them for me so have lots of meals in freezer! Couldn't resist trying some the first night - delicious! The breasts weighed in at 8 - 12 ozs each - thats boneless and skinless!
      I'm cleaning the coop and roofing the run ready to do some more very soon!

Comment

• That's really good Sue. Food mile free food.

Wishing I had more space....

Comment

• How old were they Sue?

Comment

• Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
            How old were they Sue?
            First group went before Christmas at 10 weeks. They weighed in between 1.6 and 2.4 kg and I kept them as roasters. This group were 16/17 weeks. I had one from an earlier hatch and he was 2.7kg at 16 weeks. I still have an Ixworth cockerel of the same age but he was too small to send with the others and he's in a different group. Actually he's a pain! Crowing for weeks and jumping all over his sister (who is a runt anyway) and the light Sussex pullet who was hatched with them. The Hubbards are lovely temperament - much like Warrens - must be to do with the hybrid!

Polo - I agree with you about the food miles! I have to take them 5 miles down the road for er..... you know but apart from the eggs coming from Norfolk its pretty good as lots of the food they have comes from the allotment site - people leave me all sorts of goodies in exchange for the bags of droppings I leave by my plot! I like to think that they get a decent life too as these are the type used for commercial rearing.
            Last edited by Suechooks; 21-01-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Polo - I agree with you about the food miles! I have to take them 5 miles down the road for er..... you know but apart from the eggs coming from Norfolk its pretty good as lots of the food they have comes from the allotment site - people leave me all sorts of goodies in exchange for the bags of droppings I leave by my plot! I like to think that they get a decent life too as these are the type used for commercial rearing.[/QUOTE]

That's what's great about allotments isn't it? I frequently come up to the plot and find someone has left all their pulled up kale or something similar by my compost heap - it all goes home for the girls!

I must take some manure back down for everyone as a thankyou

Comment

• I would love to try rearing a group of these hubbards- where can you get the eggs from?
                We got our new turkey stag yesterday- a beautiful bronze boy, who our turkey hen chose blatantly to ignore.....

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
                  I would love to try rearing a group of these hubbards- where can you get the eggs from?
                  We got our new turkey stag yesterday- a beautiful bronze boy, who our turkey hen chose blatantly to ignore.....
                  I get mine from Poulet Anglais (simon.skinner@btinternet.com) He does 3 or 4 varieties which mature at different rates - one type bred for intensive shed rearing are mature in 6 weeks. As far as I know he's one of the only ones who sell the eggs. I got one lot off ebay but none were fertile and seller didn't even bother to reply. Had 75% hatch last time - I put some under Silkie and rest in incubator and slipped them under her as they hatched so poor little thing was brooding 9 chicks!

Comment

• Thats nothing- our buff orpington suddenly adopted 20 chicks once, when another broody rejected some!!!!She is a big fluffy mummy thing.

Comment

• Still no eggs but they are making fertiliser at a phenomenal rate
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• It's been a bit quiet on here lately ............ what's everyone been up to chook-wise?

We've been moving enclosures ready for the Spring, processing the last few meat birds and collecting hatching eggs with the hope of setting them under a broody next week, although the weather forecast is now not looking so great so I'm in two minds whether to go ahead or not.

Comment

• I thought everyone was hibernating! I've been planning and plotting! Lists and charts everywhere! I'm a "list" person! My broody Silkies changed their collective minds and started laying again so I may have to do my first batch in the incubator which is a shame.

Comment

• I'm a list person too! There seems to be notebooks all over the house most of which have something chicken related written on them.

Comment

• LOL, I'm a list person, also. Mine are in my head - I daren't put them on paper, it would take for ever!

I have segregated my 4 Orp fellas, and have given them a house and a large hopper full of corn. They don't know what they're in for!

My 'Laydees' appear to have all gone on strike. I have a Battie who has decided to moult - and looks worse than she did when she was first let out. She's a feisty little wotsit, too - about half the size of all the others, but she runs up and pecks at my boots and tells me off every time I go in the run. I've booted her across the pen more than once, by mistake, as I often don't see her if I'm carrying a sack of feed, but she still comes back for more, and chatters at me all the time. The Marans only lay if they can be bothered, which they can't, so I'm not getting many eggs at all.
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• It must be the light up here then cos my girls are laying between 12 and 14 eggs a day! The Marans are getting into the swing and most days giving me 3 (not bad from 4 hens) and one of the Orps has restarted as have the new Batties. The Silkies are laying for Wales so will doubtless be broody very soon!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X