No announcement yet.

electric fence

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting, I've actually just bought a line voltage tester to check there's enough of a sting, though I haven't unpackaged it yet. Wherever I put the netting (in the garden) I could run it off the mains with a lead-out cable from the house, garage or barn, and thought that would be the most effective way to power netting. I have some old car batteries which aren't much good, and one leisure battery which cost about £30 some years ago and is much better, as well as being a lot lighter to carry!

It's a jolly expensive project, unfortunately.
    Last edited by palomino; 13-07-2010, 10:55 PM.

Comment

If it keeps the fox out its well worth it

Comment

Originally posted by walldanzig View Post
        If it keeps the fox out its well worth it
        Absolutely! I have much more peace of mind knowing I've done my best to keep them safe from any predators.

Comment

Mains is better for netting as it needs more power than tape or wire. But you still have to have an energiser, I know that most people know that so sorry if I'm being picky, but there have been some nasty accidents as a result of some not knowing. But you can get solar powered trickle top up gadgets which help with batterys which are running big fences or nets.
          Just be aware that energisers as far as I know are either mains OR battery, but double check that Mines Gallagher, bought a starter kit on ebay and its rock solid reliable (watch it break down now )
          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

After a visit by Mr Fox one afternoon we invested in an electric fence. They are worth their weight in gold! The only time we have come a cropper was when the fence was accidently turned off and forgotten about. We keep it on day and night and never have any trouble.

Comment

Mains energisers tend to cost more than the battery types, but they are a lot more powerful (ie capable of running a lot more fence). Any unit will give the maximum length it will operate. If using net, remember to count all the 'live' strings and multiply that number by the length to see how much power you need from an energiser.
              If it says 3 miles, and your fence has 6 strands, you can run half-a-mile.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by palomino View Post
                Nicos I've just realised we are recommending the same company, that speaks for itself!
                I would also recommend them - they delivered to Ireland for a very reasonable cost and went out of their way to be helpful.

I have their premium poultry netting with the mains/battery energiser and we live in a heavily fox-populated area surrounded by forestry on 3 sides - so far the hens have survived cub-season.

I laid down foot-wide strips of Mypex membrane under each section of netting and held it down with strips of wood to keep it in place to prevent earthing (and cos I'm not a good aim with the strimmer) and it's been well worth the money

Getting more chooks soon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X