Lemon Cuckoo Maran?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
    Trouble is a lot of breeds seem to look alike in pics. Nos 2 & 3 look rather like my cream legbars around the head, with those long wattles. And the colour on them looks more crele than cuckoo. Will root out a pici so you can see what I mean. But boy they are gorgeous boys indeed. Its lovely to see them after reading your thread earlier in the year. A real credit to you.
    Hows about DNA testing Richmond
    Yeah - I know, everything looks like something. I had this mad idea that Carrot was a special one. He is often admired by visitors. The other two are definitely crosses, but I see what you mean about looking like a CL. They don't have the crest though. All my CL boys had crests.

Don't think I'll bother with the DNA testing though! But may just cross him with my Buff Orpingtons next year and see what comes out! The two chicks he has fathered this year are looking very pretty. Unfortunately I think both boys so we all know what's going to happen to them!

By the way Hilly, have you moved yet?

Comment

I would have said Nos 2 & 3 had Cream Legbar in them somewhere too....

Comment

I must agree Carrot looks like he SHOULD be a something Lovely colour, fluffy stripeys coming up from the sounds of it. Good job you live a long way off or I'd be chooknapping.
        My CL are a mix of crested and non-crested, which is fun.

By the way Hilly, have you moved yet?
        The vans booked for this W/E, 3.5 3.5t luton self drive. They do a deal, pick it up fri at 5, take it back mon at 5, only costs £30 more than two days. Then I'll be here for a couple of weeks to smarten the place up as we are letting it (thank you thank you Northen Rock) and close down my market stall . During that time the chooks will be transfered to Penrith, god help 'em cos my oh will be chief keeper. TBH I'll be glad when its over, this was our first house together and it's really sad leaving, but it will be so nice not to have to get in a car to go and see to the chooks, so swings and roundabouts I guess.
        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

What ever they are they are bonny boys btw I didn't think CLs had feathered legs :P

Comment

They are lovely boys!
            Hope your move goes well its hilly. The lemon pooter roo is coming on, he does need to grow into his feathers though! All the pooters are out with the other hens now, looking very bonny amongst the herbage in the garden. If they weren't so shy I'd get some pics!
            J

Comment

btw I didn't think CLs had feathered legs
              Errm they dont Corax, but you've confused me (not hard) cos even though I've squinted like mad at Richmond's pics I cant see feathery legs, and I don't need to squint at my two terrors cos I know for sure they don't. Although Hoppy was in an extremely odd pose in his pic, trying to reach the corn without getting close enough to get beaten up
              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiner

I was looking through eBay today, for eggs, as you do and found this chap. He's a Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiner. Looks very much like your chap!

My thanks to eBay seller Calum_to for pinching his pic!

Jules
                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Yes he does! I think my Carrot has to be mostly Maran though as I've crossed him with my (ordinary) cuckoo maran hen (Mavis) and the resultant chick has turned out to be pure cuckoo - the spitting image of its mother. Got some more eggs from Carrot/Mavis due to hatch in 10 days so I'll see if they come out the same.

Comment

they Will richmond, basically you're crossing two barred breeds so they will be barred.

There are golden cuckoo marans but they are sort of gold colour with Black bars instead of the silver (white) of the normal cuckoo. Your lad Carrot looks like a Niederrheiner or some cross with one. If it is, they are autosexing like welbars, legbars etc. Your other two lads, No 2 could be a Welbar (Autosexing Welsummer) and the last one is probably a CLB (cream Legbar) cross.

I know I'm a couple of years behind but better late than never
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

RH- any update on the offspring?
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Gosh an old thread revitalised. Well I only ending up breeding the two chicks from Carrot, I got a cuckoo male and black female. The male went in the pot and the female was sold. Still got Carrot though, and Sprout. Parsnip died in late 2011. We think he was probably a CLB cross as someone above has said as offspring from him produced blue egg layers, although all were sold and not kept. I have never tried breeding from Sprout, he is one of my many spare "pets" that roam around the place and is very tame and cuddly. Currently lives with an old hen and they potter about together like Darby and Joan, little sweeties.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X