• Time
  • Show
Clear All

my oh has already marked his teritory so to speak

Comment

Originally posted by pink-angel29 View Post
      my oh has already marked his teritory so to speak
      Love it

I got a bag of hair clippings from my hairdresser friend and there's little bags of it now stapled to the fences and hanging in the hedge
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Congrats on the new girls!!!! Post those pics, we all love to look at them. Some good advice given above, beware thought you will get more. I only wanted 3 less than 1 year ago and am now upto 18!!!!

Comment

Wish you well with the girls. I kept lots of different breeds on our allotment, over the last 20 years or so, but eventually gave up because of foxes. They DON'T give up once they know there's potential dinner. I ended up with a maran and two welsummer bantams (for the deep brown eggs) in a large, 2-story rabbit hutch with attached run, in the backyard! Worked well and the local kids loved them!

Comment

i will take some pics tommorow when i let them out (i keep forgetting the camera)
            on the second evening my oh went to the allotment to put the chooks away and he put a pallet up against the back of the coop (where the fox had tried to get in) and used some bags of compost to keep it secure.
            well i went to let the chooks out in the morning and the fox had tried again (and couldnt get in) so he pooed all over the compost bags
            and mrs c i know what you mean about wanting more my oh wants more lol

Comment

make sure your coop is a good size,we all start off with a few and end up getting more and more, we started off with two blackrocks and two isa browns,then two bluebelles,then two rhoderocks,then a light sussex,speckled hen and a barred plymouth rock(sold as a speckled hen),so you see it is very addictive and if you have a bad day,go outside and watch them for a while,that will always bring a smile to your face..

Comment

You don't know how right you are Buffs... I promised I would start with only 4... soon went up to 11! And i've only kept chooks since March 09.

We now at 8 girl's but will be incubating next week hopefully.

Comment

sheena,we only started in may 09,but wouldnt be without them..

Comment

Only started a year ago with 3 now have eggs being warmed and an extended run!

My advice would be, they dont need fuss, keep them clean, fed and watered and they'll be fine.

If you think you garden/run is fox proof, its not!!

Hope they continue to bring you as much joy as they are presently.

Comment

Hohoho, I couldn't agree more! I only mused to myself and a pal that some chooks would be nice - before I knew it I had been given 8 Belgian mille fleur booted bantams including cockerel , borrowed a coop and was in full chook owning mode! That was last Feb, now I have 10 bantams (mostly gifted) including 3 chicks I raised myself and broodies sitting on various eggs in two coops - its great!
                      Last edited by jessmorris; 24-06-2010, 06:50 PM.

Comment

since i have got the chooks afew people on the lottie have asked if im getting some rabbits to go in with them ive never heard of this please can someone explain

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X