No announcement yet.

Hatching from a broody hen ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The eggs take 21 days from start of incubation, regardless of when they were laid. So if they have started hatching today, expect most of them to come today and tomorrow, then you might get the odd late one a day or so after that, but if you are left with unhatched eggs by day 25, and you cannot hear sounds within, dispose of them. By this stage the hen will possibly have kicked the eggs out anyway as she will be concentrating on her new babies.

The hen will show the chicks how to eat and drink, there is no need to worry about this aspect.

Re sexing the chicks, as with most chicks (except autosexing breeds), you need to wait until they start to feather up a bit before you can reliably sex them. I have a couple of araucana cross cocks and it took me ages to sex one of them - I was convinced he was a girl till he started crowing! Why not post a picture on here when they are about 4 weeks old and then we can all have a go at sexing them for you.

Comment

Thats a very generous and sensible offer Richmond, thanks

Comment

The best thing about broodies hatching is that they do all the work and you are left to enjoy the chicks!

Comment

If all the chicks are the same breed, you can get a rough idea of sexes because MOST female chicks grow tail feathers a day or so before MOST of their brothers, this is at a few days old. It is far from foolproof, but should give you some idea.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X