Chicken getting bullied

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken getting bullied

I took delivery of my new chickens on friday - a speckledy, a light sussex, a rhode island red and a buff orpington, they are in an ark and run but the orpington is getting bullied by the others, they were all introduced at the same time, the only one laying at present is the speckledy. The orpington stays away from the others if at all possible and looks thoroughly miserable. I have a larger run area to move them to, but another thought is to get another orpington and put the two together separate from the rest - Advice please!

Emma K
    Last edited by Emma K; 19-02-2006, 08:20 PM.

They do take a while to establish a pecking order, which can take up to a week or two.

You need to keep an eye on the chicken for excessive bullying. It is helpful if the area is big enough for the chicken that is being bullied to get some respite.

If they are in cramped conditions they will peck more.

But it is a natural process for them to establish the pecking order - make sure the chicken at the bottom of the order, gets their share of water and food - that is really important.

Try to arrange it so that you have more than one feeding and drinking station so that they can all get a share of the food.

Comment

Try sitting the chicken doing the bullying down and explaining about tolerence and that all chickens can contribute to the well of the group if given the opportunity.
      If this fails you have two choices......a two week safari in Kenya siting his problem childhood and lack of parental influence.....or get a chicken to squeal on him then slap him with an asbo.

Good luck !
      Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I tell you, when we got rid of corporal punishment, it was only a matter of time before the chickens came home to roost!
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Okay, you can all groan
          Best wishes
          Andrewo
          Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

try hanging some cabbages or the likes up on a peice of string they'll forget about fighting and have ago at this instead..... honest
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

If the bully draws blood - be cautious, they get a taste for it and can make a mess. If this happens you can apply stokham tar to it - available from all good tack shops / farm supplies.

You can buy bumpabits which clip on the beak of the bully and prevent her doing any damage, she ca still eat and drink normally. These are available from the Wernlas collection http://www.wernlas.com/ if you ring them. They have really worked for my hens.

Comment

In my experience I would seperate the Orpington, they are a gentler breed of chook than the others you have, in my experience with the breed Orpington's are real ladies.
                www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Thanks for all your advice regarding sending the bully on safari - There are three bullies so it might be too expensive so I think the better option would be for me to go so I can have a rest from all that mediating!!

Emma K

Comment

You can put bumpabits on all of them, it doesn't stop them eating etc but stops them from pecking each other so they will form a pecking order minus the pecking! However, they will need to establish an order and it may be best to let them settle before intervening. The bits are good to have on standby though. For 10p you can't go wrong!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X