Some questions on gate sales...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home made yummy ice cream

I only have a couple of darling chooks (first hens Ive owned) and as they are warrens they almost lay everyday (even the snow didnt put them off) so I have surplus eggs. Not enough to sell though, so I bought an ice cream maker and use the egg yolks to make the scrummiest ice cream ever and the whites for other things.
    I know I've digressed from the O/P but I'm quite chuffed.
    Jayne

Comment

Ooooh, I hadn't thought of ice cream... my kitchen couldn't accommodate another gadget but I guess it could be mixed by hand? We LOVE ice cream and I can't afford Ben & Jerrys every week!

Comment

I've not made ice cream by hand, I know you can. I have to say when I ordered the ice cream maker I didnt realise that the gadget would be huge!!!!
        I have to say that it certainly has some lovely recipes that came with it, certainly on par if not better than some of the better commercial ones.....
        Jayne

Comment

Ice cream maker:
          Ice Cream Ball - buy at Firebox.com

It's a bit more labour intensive than using a machine but it works. I believe the exact same princpile works if you use a couple of tin cans of different sizes - I've seen comments from "old timers" describing how they used to do it but can't remember the details. The same ice/salt/ingredients principle though.

Glad you like the advert suggestion for work. Let us know how it goes (and good luck - it's a pain when you've got to tiptoe around).
          Last edited by organic; 08-04-2010, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I believe you "should" only sell eggs in new egg boxes although it's ok put them in a clean (not new) bulk tray and then transfer them to the customers own egg box.

Comment

If friends at work expect free eggs, you might try making a joke along the lines of "going to invite us to Sunday lunch then?" Your eggs are not FREE to you, so why should you give them away (other than when a present would be appropriate, eg a birthday)?
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

My work colleagues get there first dozen for free as a taster, then any more they have to pay for. (They usually come back for more!)
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Could you also put up a note in the local shop or post office telling people where you are? If they can't see the honesty box from the main road.

Or do you have children? There are always mums at my son's school willing to take a few eggs off me for a pound

You can freeze them too, separate the eggs and yolks first and pop into ice cube trays. Helps with any older ones you have not got rid of.

My mum and nanna's neighbours also buy some off me sometimes. Worth asking them to spread the word too for you

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                    Your eggs are not FREE to you, so why should you give them away?
                    's a good point.
                    Cost in feed, medication and the likes may not be a huge amount per egg, but I'm sure it adds up over time.
                    I'm always delighted when my next door neighbour drops off another pack of 6 from her hens. Nice eggs and "free" is just a bonus. I wouldn't dream of expecting them for free though. If I was going to rely on them for my egg supply I'd either pay for them or offer up some sort of veg supply in barter.

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    My work colleagues get there first dozen for free as a taster, then any more they have to pay for. (They usually come back for more!)
                    'a also a good idea. In fact, it could be a good and diplomatic way to get around those who expect them for free. When they get their first 6 or 12 say "first one's free... just for you... but the rest will be £1" (or whatever you're charging). They get to feel special with the free eggs and then should get the idea about paying too.

Comment

Thank you so much for all the ideas.

My daughter has had a great response where she works, asking £1 for 4 duck eggs or 6 hens' eggs. Hoping the boxes will be returned this week as I only have trays now. Would it be acceptable to cut these into sections of 6 or 12? I guess eBay is the place to look for a supply of new boxes?

I'm still thinking about a sign and display table - our local garden centre has a wonderfully quaint 'rustic' trolley, with its own blackboard at eye-level, for an eye-watering £169.95

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X