No announcement yet.

Chickens in Schools?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from a personal note - having seen it with my own kids - allowing a child to see where food comes from, be it a pot with an onion seedling in it, through to rearing a turkey for chrsitmas, they see where food comes from and that respect is deserved.

up until recently (and still some now think this way) the kids at school think that food is asda and thats it. they do not consider (or even know) what work and transport etc backs up the delivery of food into your fridge.

i think that giving the children the chance to follow something through - start to finish - even if its only growing a chick onto laying an egg, will make them realise that its not "instant" and they will learn a respect for it.

as long as the welfare of the livestock is top - and it appears that Ms C is working hard to achieve this, then i think the idea is sound. i hope that through all Mrs C's effort the school listen to what is said and follow advice. we all know to well that you can lead them to water but can you make them drink??

i hope that Mrs C is not disheartened by the (sometimes) spanish inquisition that was hurled her way, but respect that it wasnt a personal attack but one of advice and concern for the chooks. i would welcome anyone learning about the cycle of life through livestock and feel that everyone should have that chance.

Please keep us informed of how the school project goes and how the chooks do.
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

When a poultry-keeper who has some connection with the school is willing to take responsibility for whatever 'management' is required, it can be a great idea, but there MUST BE a person who knows what they are doing, AND is in a position to take the responsibility (including for disposal of cockerels, removing the whole project somewhere else if a new head-teacher doesn't like the idea, and other unpleasant facets of real life).
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
        Just to add, imho children need to experience things first hand, not a nice day trip to wherever. Give them the responsibility to care and look after animals/the environment will allow them to grow into respectful caring adults and not yobs. I don't like the word yobs to describe young people, it's very much stereotyping them. They are children, give them the chance the learn and stop the broad brush approach to stereotyping that is so commonplace today. It might change people's mind into how people view the future generation. Off on a rant, give young people the chance, they might surprise you!
        they only become yobs when their behavior warrants it,you are in a rural area?,if you were in a more urban situation,you would see how bad they can be,im all for helping along all the majority of (normal) kids,but im not one of those that believe its always someone elses fault.one of the biggest problems today is the morons who tell these youngsters that its all the fault of someone else,no matter what they have done,and parents who seem to breed, then abdicate any responsibility for their offspring or their misdemeanours...i do wish things were better,but im not that hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
          they only become yobs when their behavior warrants it,you are in a rural area?,if you were in a more urban situation,you would see how bad they can be,im all for helping along all the majority of (normal) kids,but im not one of those that believe its always someone elses fault.one of the biggest problems today is the morons who tell these youngsters that its all the fault of someone else,no matter what they have done,and parents who seem to breed, then abdicate any responsibility for their offspring or their misdemeanours...i do wish things were better,but im not that hopeful.
          Hi Buffs

The school I work at is in a rural location, I live in an urban area and so do you. I am quite well aware of the area of Kilwinning, which part of the town are you from yourself? Who are the morons? Urban or rural location doesn't make a difference imho you will always have people who will not accept the actions of children. What in your opinion is 'normal' behaviour for a child/groups of children. It sounds to me, correct me if I'm wrong but have you been in any way, shape or form, been affected by childrens 'misdemeanours' it sounds as though you have been?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
            Hi Buffs

The school I work at is in a rural location, I live in an urban area and so do you. I am quite well aware of the area of Kilwinning, which part of the town are you from yourself? Who are the morons? Urban or rural location doesn't make a difference imho you will always have people who will not accept the actions of children. What in your opinion is 'normal' behaviour for a child/groups of children. It sounds to me, correct me if I'm wrong but have you been in any way, shape or form, been affected by childrens 'misdemeanours' it sounds as though you have been?
            ive seen too much of the bad behaviour of some,dont get me wrong,i was no angel or do i expect them to be,i do object though to the stoning and using pellet guns to injure the likes of swans etc,and when brought to book,out come the bleeding hearts..in droves..i was brought up to believe that if you did wrong ,you were punished and basically you put your hand up and took responsibility for your own actions,are we a dying breed?i always look to see if they will look you in the eye,they generally have nothing to hide,lets not forget,as always,its a small feral minority that create the problems and it is always blamed on the whole generation,i dont hold with that,most kids are just full of beans(as they should be at that age) but some are old before their time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X