oldest chicken

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldest chicken

I was chatting to a guy yesterday about his old hens and he says he has a hen who is 9 1/2 yrs old who still lays the occasional egg. She demands a head scratch from him every morning before she has her breakfast!! (His wife won't let him kill them!). How old do hens get and who has got the oldest one on the 'vine' ???
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Hi Nicos,

I've just seen mentioned on a website that Black Rock hybrids have been reported to be laying at 8 and living to 12. Friends of ours who keep chickens had a few of their original birds still laying at 8.

Lorna.
    Lorna.

Comment

I suspect that bettery hens don't live to long as they'll be burned out after a few years.

I used to work for someone who had chickens so old we had to show them pictures of eggs to remind them
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

I would imagine that all females are born with a certain amount of ova in their ovaries. Nature dictates how often an egg is released and then the rest as they say is history. Perhaps this is why Battery hens get their minds and hormones messed round with in order to get them to lay more per week. All those short days they are given in one 24-hour period can't help much.

Comment

what type of eggs do you buy eh?
          Last edited by Nicos; 11-02-2006, 11:15 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X