Roof

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof

Was thinking of putting a plastic corrugated roof on the Chicken run to give them some shelter from the rain, is this a good idea or not?

Would they get too hot?

This would be a good idea however if the run is tall enough to let light in the sides you could use onduline which would then block the sun in the summer. If the run is not tall enough then just make it that you can take the sheeting off in the summer. As long as the sides are open you should get a reasonable amount of air flow through for this time of year.

Comment

We have a walk in run with a corrugated plastic roof. It's brilliant at this time of year and has kept all the rain and snow off them. In summer it's a good base for throwing an old tarp over to offer shade. If your run is tall enough you still get draughts through too. I'd go for it (well, I did, obviously!)
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've got Onduline on my run and huts and it's brilliant. Only thing you need to remember is that it needs support at least every 2 feet or it will sag and warp. No need for shading in the summer - it's all there.

Comment

It's not exactly walk'in but it's about 4ft odd high, I do like the idea of currugated plastic on the roof to offer some kind of shelter from the rain, also want it to let light in from the top too so thinking clear plastic rather than Onduline would be better.

Not actually put the coop together yet so will add a roof when putting it up.

Another question, Base:

Have built a raised base for the Chicken Coop in a kind of Raised bed type system, using large Gravel boards as the sides I intend to now fill the base with Soil and put down some grass seeds. I had an idea the other day of putting down chicken wire along the inside of the bottom of the bed to stop rats and the likes from digging underneath, is this a good idea.

I thought this way I can fill new soil on top of the wire and the grass seeds or new turf but nothing would be able to dig its way into the coop??

Comment

I did that when I built my second run. Someone gave me some old chain link fencing so I took the turf off the to and laid the chain link all round the edges of the run then replaced the turf so it rooted through - result grass for the chooks and a good barrier against fox etc. Go for it!

Comment

How deep down would the Chicken Wire need to be, at the very bottom or just a few cm's?

Comment

This is exactly what I'm hoping to do this summer (My summer project) in readiness for next winter. Going to make a permanent run, then roof it with the clear corrugated sheets. I don't want to have to deal with the mess foxy left me this year and want a place which Will be big enough to leave them in all the time(not that I will). Inside will be some caged veggie beds for their spinach and chard that they love so much Cages so they get all that grows through without decimating the plants
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I made my chicken run along an old leek trench.The york pavement stones are 3ftx2ft and are burie The frame work is fixed to the stones so the fox cannot dig down.
                  The chicken run is 26ft x10ft and the frame work is covered in chicken wire, my 13 chicks are happy in the run.The chicken coop is a old pigeon hut which i converter happy with the result

Comment

Hi there - I too intend to build a new run as soon as this horrible weather allows. As mine too will be in a permanent position could you recommend the ideal floor for the run? I intend to cover the run with corrugated sheeting and it will be about 8/10 feet as I have only 2 chooks which are in it most of the weekdays when we are at work. At the moment they are on grass with some pallets/straw and as it is makeshift covered they are ok. When you have woodchip etc what is underneath? Is a base of soil best underneath any type of bedding etc? I note from some of the pics that a lot of you use the horsey type bedding in covered runs. Would a part base of slabs be better?
                    Sorry about all the questions!
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hinksy View Post
                      How deep down would the Chicken Wire need to be, at the very bottom or just a few cm's?
                      I actually laid the chain link flat about 3-4 inches below the soil inside the run close to the fencing. I ALSO buried the upright mesh about a foot deep so that creates the first barrier for anything digging. As well as that I scavenge for any broken slabs, concrete posts, old kerb stones, etc and they go all round the outside of the wire and where I can I've put paving slabs under the huts and the covered runs.
                      I use pallet tops under the wood chip in the runs - they go flat unlike the whole pallets and are easy to lift to dig out when the run needs a good "bottoming out". However I also have pallets and tyres and straw in the cold and wet weather to keep the chooks off the mud. In winter I try and section off part of the open run and then let them go in part of it at a time so some of it is resting and grass grows back.
                      Last edited by Suechooks; 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Sue, now I know what I'm doing! Just did'nt know if it would be ok.

Not built the Chicken House/Coop/Run yet, but got all the plans and most of the materials now, it being in a fixed position is how it has to be in my garden. They will get the run of the garden but the House with built on run has to stay in one position so making it as fox proof as possible is a must as the Chickens are going to be pets mainly so keeping them safe and comfortable is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by PatchyPauline View Post
                          Hi there - I too intend to build a new run as soon as this horrible weather allows. As mine too will be in a permanent position could you recommend the ideal floor for the run? I intend to cover the run with corrugated sheeting and it will be about 8/10 feet as I have only 2 chooks which are in it most of the weekdays when we are at work. At the moment they are on grass with some pallets/straw and as it is makeshift covered they are ok. When you have woodchip etc what is underneath? Is a base of soil best underneath any type of bedding etc? I note from some of the pics that a lot of you use the horsey type bedding in covered runs. Would a part base of slabs be better?
                          Sorry about all the questions!
                          Thanks
                          My run is on paving stones, laid onto weed membrane. This is so it can't be dug into by foxes or other vermin. On top is a 4" layer of wood (not bark) chippings. This is changed every few months - and goes to topdress paths. They seem very happy as long as there's a deep enough layer to scratch in.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Auboise is very popular to put down in the run area. This is equestrian type bedding but is small woodchips. (Bark chippings are not ideal as they absorb every drop of moisture around and act like a sponge). I know auboise is not the easiest to get hold of but if you want to try it and can't get it let me know.
                            Ruth

Comment

Would a Wood/hard Floor be better then than just straight to ground?

Protection wise I am not too worried as like said in above posts I intend to put wire fencing or the like underneath the ground that the house/run sits on to stop anything tunneling in. This way they could have a natural source of grass and veg straight from ground, or would it be better off just hard floor with a mini/medium grass/grazing box?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X