Freezing again!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing again!!

Could someone direct me to the thread on glycerine in drinkers please can't seem to find it. Also porridge is it that good for them & what consistency do you make it? Gave ours some on Monday morning. One seemed to eat an amazing amount of it while the rest were so so about it. Anyhow Tuesday she stayed in the nest box all day with a huge crop. Yesterday she was a little better & today normal. Wondered if I made it too gloopy (two water to one oats).

I make porridge for my lot at about the same ratio shadegrow, but I also add in some pellets and cooked veggies to thicken it up a bit too. I make a huge batch of it and divide it into 3 washing up bowls so everybody gets the chance of grabbing some before the greedy ones scoff the lot . I hasten to add that they don't get it every day, and not before they've eaten their "proper rations" of pellets, usually about an hour or so before bed when I go and collect the eggs and "make the beds"
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by shadegrow View Post
      Could someone direct me to the thread on glycerine in drinkers please
      Search/Advanced Search. I typed Glycerine in the box, clicked on 'posts' not
      'titles' and then clicked on Rule The Roost forum, and this popped up: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...old_41119.html
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I make up a porridge with pellets and a handful of oats in the morning. That way I know they're eating their proper food.
        The Hen House

Comment

I've started giving them some of their pellets made into a thick mash with hot water. It's easier to add Poultry Spice to this than to the dry pellets. Strangely enough, they fall on this like it was going out of fashion and it's basically the same as their stuff in the hanging feeder. I was concerned that giving them porridge would fill them up with oats instead of layers' which has the balance of foodstuffs. They still get a handful of mixed corn (including oats) at bedtime.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            I've started giving them some of their pellets made into a thick mash with hot water. It's easier to add Poultry Spice to this than to the dry pellets. Strangely enough, they fall on this like it was going out of fashion and it's basically the same as their stuff in the hanging feeder. I was concerned that giving them porridge would fill them up with oats instead of layers' which has the balance of foodstuffs. They still get a handful of mixed corn (including oats) at bedtime.
            What a blinking good idea! I was concerned that the only time I could give the girls some hot food was first thing in the morning. By the time I get home its dark and theyve gone to bed! Bless! Shall try the hot pellet mash tomorrow morning, then like you say Flummery, Im happy they are getting the good they should have each day. Thanks! Will let you know how I get on.
            Bernie, and the girls, KFC x
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Yeah the pellet mash works well and you can put some porridge oats, raisins and vegetables in it.

Aren't we all a bunch of softies feeding our girls hot food in the winter
              Last edited by jayjay giant; 11-12-2009, 09:10 PM.
              The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

I do the same as Flummery and chooks react the same way - even the new ex-batts who've only been "out" a few weeks!. It's handy for worming too - a sprinkle of Flubenvet as well as their individual dose &/or pellet dose too. They have porridge / spaghetti/ bread/ corn after free ranging and you'd swear they hadn't been fed for weeks despite feeders constantly full of pellets!
                Last edited by Suechooks; 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  I've started giving them some of their pellets made into a thick mash with hot water.
                  My parrot goes nuts for soft food too: just give her normal kibble (which she hates) mixed with OJ or hot water and she reverts to baby parrot mode, with clucking, glugging and gulping sound effects.

It's obviously easier for birds to swallow soft food, but maybe it also reminds them of being babies looked after by Mummy?
                  Attached Files
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X