No announcement yet.

Greens for me girls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petal, if mum is feeding them, she knows best, but if i am rearing chicks indorrs, then they get a little chopped chives from about 3 weeks, steadily increase it until they get the same ration as the main runs by 12 weeks.
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Our first hatch,we found the chicks were getting terribly sticky bums which needed regular cleaning.I found something on T'internet that suggested finely chopped dandelion leaves from just a couple of days old would help prevent it.Don't know if it was just a coincidence or if it works,but Boo & Roo never needed their bottoms cleaned!
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Ours love dandelion, over summer I collected weeds regularly for the laydees...
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I know that they should eat their layers first but I have got into the habit of taking a handful of greens into the run with me each morning when I collect the eggs and clean out the house and poo-pick in the run. They only get grass when they are let out so not as much as free-rangers. I give it to them every day and the yolks are beautifully large and orange. I've never given them a full cabbage - they get the outside leaves from the greens I grow for us and they get individually pulled leaves of chard which they'd probably kill for! They also love a squashed apple but get fruit later in the day.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

2nd day the apple is untouched, so I took a big bite out of it to start them off.

If they don't like the mealworms I am NOT going to teach them how to eat them. I wasn't even keen on having them sitting next to me in the car and they are dead and dried

I only hope that soaking them ain't going to revive them
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              ............................................ They also love a squashed apple but get fruit later in the day.
              After there greens au derves, they've got to have their sweet (fruit) after their main course with a glass of chateax de cider vinegar to wash it down!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                After there greens au derves, they've got to have their sweet (fruit) after their main course with a glass of chateax de cider vinegar to wash it down!
                No wonder your non-layers are laying eggs. They know when they're onto a good thing

Comment

'tis true EC. Those little ladies quickly catch onto a good thing I know one lady (the human type!!!) that has trained hers to eat up in 30 mins or it's gone!!! Literally. Hers free range in the afternoon so she has taught them to get their layers in or else they miss out.
                  Last edited by moola; 22-11-2009, 03:41 PM.

Comment

One of mine perches in the coop as I'm poo picking and remaking the bed in the hope that I'll think it's bedtime and give her corn Then the others pop in to check I've done it properly and rearrange to their taste.

Comment

Unless they are getting really massive amounts of greens (and so getting too full to eat their layers pellets, or having tummy upsets) it can't do them any harm. Green veg is NOT fattening. Too much fruit might be a problem, starchy treats will turn to fat (not entirely bad, in moderation, during cold weather).
                      Really, the same basic rules of nutrition apply as with us, but layers pellets are designed to provide all they need (but may be somewhat boring) so any extras need caution to avoid unbalancing the diet. Greens are the safest extra (just as they are for humans).
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

someone told me recently that chickens cant have spinach, could anyone clarify this as I have stacks in the garden and though they could have some of it

Comment

Mine love chard, which I think might be related to spinach. Never heard that they shouldn't have spinach?
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It's not in the list of toxic plants someone (I think it was Maureen) put on here. I was looking to see if Pomegranate was there as I have a few and they're not there either.
                            Sorry I can't post a link but it's Poultryhelp.com/toxic and there's some on the Omlet site too.

Comment

Its unlikely they'll eat it if it's harmful. I've given it to mine when DD has had a bag on yellow label from Asda. As Flummery says its related to beetroot and chard and they eat tons of that!

Comment

I couldnt find anything on Spinach, they nicked some from my bushes today while I was trying to paint their old coop to get ready for the new arrivals

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X