Adding one new Chicken

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding one new Chicken

Do you think it would be OK to add one new Bantam to the 3 girls we already have, or am i pushing my luck (i have only been keeping my girls for 8 weeks, but i think i have caught the bug, bad!)

i would like to settle one more into the family before the winter sets in. they are free range every afternoon and all day at weekends, so if i added one this weekend i could watch her all weekend(as normal).

the reason i ask is that i have seen some pictures of a Citrus Sablepoot on Thornes website!

I think I'd put her in the coop at night after spraying them all with weak vinegar spray or anti-peck spray and keep a close eye on them all. 8 weeks is long enough to have sorted out the pecking order and another addition is going to disrupt it. Best of luck and fingers crossed for you
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I did this and they knocked the living daylights out of the bantam in the end I kept the bantam on its own it got that bad

Comment

Not going to write it all again, but check out my threads on the bother i had trying to put 3 hens into an established group... saying that - I have only yesterday introduced 7 into 4 without problems... I fear for the safty of one though...

They have formed a nice new group, but only because the bullies couldn't intimidate such a large new introduction..
        When all the world is moving too fast, sit in the garden and watch it whizz past... The good life..

Comment

I have put new hens in with the others at night and it has worked every time. They will give the new onw a bit of a hard time for a day or two but will settle down in the end with no adverse results.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Could you manage to accommodate 2 new hens? That way the new girls will have a companion. I'd be reluctant to put just one hen into an established group. And the extra one won't take up much room!!!!

Comment

Those Sablepoots are gawjus.
              I wouldn't be able to restrict myself to one.
              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                Could you manage to accommodate 2 new hens? That way the new girls will have a companion. I'd be reluctant to put just one hen into an established group. And the extra one won't take up much room!!!!
                I think your right, two would be better!, Ill just tell OH that they couldn't be spilt up, last two left in the run etc.

How do i introduce them to the other girls who will be free ranging when i return with them.

Put the new girls in the run and leave the others free ranging or wot?

Thanks to eveyone for your help over the last 8 weeks or so

jim

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                  Those Sablepoots are gawjus.
                  I wouldn't be able to restrict myself to one.
                  A lady not far from you sells them, Sunny Dagenham, off down there tomorrow

Comment

Don't lose the address Jim, but don't give it to me yet.

*I can't believe that I'm lusting after long haired chooks with thigh length boots*

Please post piccies.

Comment

Jim, wait till your others are asleep, spray everyone, new and old, with something smelly (vinigar seems good) and pop the new ones onto the perch. Let everyone out early, and wait to see. Mine were ok, after a couple of squabbles. Although I had to do the leggies a bit different and build a pen inside the others run for several days, as they're still not all roosting yet.
                      Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

PS Sablepoots are gorgeous!! But boy can they fly well!! These are my two. They're my favourites but he thinks he's the Godfather despite his size.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hilly,

Are they quite light despite looking so big?
                          Your two look like they're crazy in lurve

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                            Don't lose the address Jim, but don't give it to me yet.

*I can't believe that I'm lusting after long haired chooks with thigh length boots*

Please post piccies.
                            new chooks now settling in Holly & Ivy (hatched on Christmas Eve!), cant download the pics as they are to big (can anyone help?)

they are hand tame and sit in your hand while feeding them

Link for Eco-Chic when your ready!!

Home

Comment

Eco
                              Are they quite light despite looking so big?
                              Its deceptive, they're about half the size of my smallest hybrids, at a guess around 2lb max, but big on charecter (Sp) and very friendly, although hes death on two feet as far as fighting goes, challenges my GANDER even. But as I would like to try showing them next year they have their own pen anyway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X