No announcement yet.

Red (Black) mites

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds better than Poultry shield!I gave the coop a good spray yesterday,only to go back an hour later to sort out nest box to find several escapees wandering round where I'd sprayed...and I'd actually made the mix a little stronger than recommened!
    Is it new?I'd never heard of it.
    Good Luck with the battle.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I think its quite new - probably moved it out the way for weeks to pick up the usual poultry shield - funny how we become robots and just go to the shelf and pick up the same stuff - its not until someone breaks that comfort bubble that we try soemthing new.

it is supposed to kill the eggs too and supposed to effective against other parasites, and it is to kill them not to deter them and also to disinfect at the same time.

Just been out for the lunchtime egg run and still no signs of the little sods, we will have to wait and see!
      Last edited by Bramble-Poultry; 14-08-2009, 12:13 PM.
      My Blog
      http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I have purchased a pink, and its bright Kill Mites, it seems to have done the job after a thorough clean with ***** fluid. With this pink stuff, its a case of allowing them back in after 30 minutes

How long do they have to be away with this smite?

Comment

no time - you can use it with them in the coop, overspray does not cause a problem, it is non toxic as well, sprayed myself down with it too that got rid of them off me.

saying that it is not licenced for direct application to the birds
          My Blog

Comment

hi Bramble are there any details of the Smite manufacturer on the packaging, just googled it an its not coming up, checked with my local suppliers and theyve never heard of it....thanks
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Smite Professional - an extremely-effective, non-toxic eliminator of RED MITE and other parasites for animal housing Got mine from local country stores But proably more likely to get it online
              My Blog

Comment

click link
                My Blog

Comment

Marvellous - my food place sells it according to the company! Will be calling there on my way from the sale on Sunday! Lets have every weapon we can get to kill these little b*@@ers! I found just 1 this morning - dead now!!!

Comment

I was out at 10.30pm last night with my torch looking for red mite in the coop. (My OH thinks I have really lost the plot now with my nightly wanderings.) I have been using Diatoms for the past couple of months but this Smite sounds good. Prevention is better than cure.

Comment

If I can get it, I'll be getting some too. I noticed they mention gap filling too, so I will get some more filler after all (I've been dragging my feet a bit on that front)

Comment

An old freind of mine recomended providing an ash dustbath, I haven't had the opportunity to try it except accidently.....

Comment

Fowl Facts Information Center - Lice & Mites / Parasites
                          This page has some interesting info.....

Comment

An this was on a page about scaley leg and states that this is not recomended by the FDA (whoever they maybe) but someone may find it of interest.....

OTHER TREATMENTS:

The FDA does not approve this treatment.
                            If you decide to use it you use it at your own risk.

A treatment for dogs called “Frontline” (be very careful with this), you use 4 to 6 drops per large bird and 2 to 4 drops for bantams, it is administered to the back of the head, at the base of the neck onto the skin not the feathers, it kills all external parasites including the stick fast flea, scaly leg mite, and mites and such, withholding period is 14 days

Another unapproved treatment is Ivermectin or Moxidectin (Cydectin) cattle pour on, it is used the same as Frontline
                            You can buy “Ivermect” injections for your birds, the FDA approves this, each bird would need two injections to fix it, and these are administered 14 days apart

With the Moxidectin I personally prefer to use it in their water, I give it to all my birds, as it treats worms, lice and mites and including the scaly leg mites, it takes a short time for the mites to start to fall off the legs, but in severe cases it can take several months, but at least the mites are dead and not contaminating other bird

Other Treatments

Comment

Originally posted by CoraxAurata View Post
                              An this was on a page about scaley leg and states that this is not recomended by the FDA (whoever they maybe) but someone may find it of interest.....

[COLOR="Navy"]
                              Food and Drug Agency - if they don't recommend it then it's probably not safe for hens nor humans. They're the US dept that approval all drugs, chemicals and items that go into food stuffs, they're stricter than the UK counter part but it's no bad thing.

Comment

Using frontline in America on Poultry is actually against fedral law - if caught its prosicutable - they are that against you using it.
                                My Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X