No announcement yet.

How's your chooks coping with the heat?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've put up an old golfing umbrella over my laydees run and they look very elegant taking their dust bath in the shade!!
    Going to try a water tray later today and see how that goes.
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

On Tuesday my hens were holding their wings up and their beaks were slightly open with the heat, but one of them stayed away from the rest of the birds not even wanting to go into roost at night. I picked her up and gave her a damp down with a spray bottle and put her in the hen house and hoped everything would be alright! The next morning they all seemed to be fine until the heat started to get up, then the same hen started to go the same way as she did the day before, so I put the lawn sprinkler on so that the water just touched the end of the run - they loved it! running in and out the spray and just standing in the spray preening themselves - panic over

Comment

I've put a cat litter tray of shallow water (thanks for the idea Bluemoon) in the shade in the yard but the girls haven't quite fathomed out the getting in bit, might go plonk a couple in after work
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

my girls dont like the heat much as there isnt much shade about for them. So i spray the runs - and the birds - with water twice a day to cool them down and have a tarpaulin over the runs to shade them.

As for water, i have bought bigger drinkers to help but they get knocked over in the scramble to get there so a change of plan saw me put a washing up bowl into an old car tyre. That way they can stand on the edge and not knock the thing over. Works a treat for them!
          My Blog
          http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X