No announcement yet.

Ex-battery rescue

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think he's bother what sort of life they have Richmond - he's after the egg money and no outlay at the beginning.

You won't know your poor little lasses in a few weeks Maureen. Fully feathered and bouncy - they don't know they've struck lucky!

I'm sure if more people saw pictures of these chickens in the supermarket where they buy their caged hen eggs they'd not be able to buy and eat them.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post

I'm sure if more people saw pictures of these chickens in the supermarket where they buy their caged hen eggs they'd not be able to buy and eat them.
      I got a poster off the internet showing a picture of a bald hen and very appropriate wording. I now have it stuck in my car window and on my allotment so hope people will look and just maybe take some notice.
      Last edited by Suechooks; 23-06-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Can you remember the site you got it from Sue? I'd be happy to have something on my car window. I've already got a BHWT sticker on the back window
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
          Can you remember the site you got it from Sue? I'd be happy to have something on my car window. I've already got a BHWT sticker on the back window
          It was Down the Lane
          I think there may have been a bit more than that but that's the website.
          It's a good poster well worth downloading

Comment

thanks Sue. That's an eye-opening site too isn't it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
              thanks Sue. That's an eye-opening site too isn't it!!!!
              Certainly is!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                I don't think he's bother what sort of life they have Richmond - he's after the egg money and no outlay at the beginning.

You won't know your poor little lasses in a few weeks Maureen. Fully feathered and bouncy - they don't know they've struck lucky!

Waitrose proclaim that they have 'not sold any fresh eggs from caged hens since (not sure, but I think it was 2005)'. I haven't seen 'barn eggs' in there lately either.
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

How are the newbies getting on today Maureen?

Comment

They're settling down, I've put them in their own separate run during the day with a make-shift nest box - not that they use it of course!! They just drop their eggs wherever they happen to be. They can see all the other chooks and one of the Bluebelles has been poking her head through the wire to chat to them They're still not sure what to do at bedtime so I've been putting them in when all the others have gone on their perches. Just one character emerging so far, and I think she'll be called Mrs Parker - because she's nosey
                    They've tasted some mashed potato with pellets, poultry spice and garlic powder, they didn't eat much of it, walked through it a few times though! They like cabbage and strawberries and mixed corn, so feeding isn't a problem. A couple of them have also learned how to drink from the bucket too

Comment

Aww poor wee things. Once they perk up I bet they'll all be characters! I had my mum in stitches yesterday explaining how I now get mugged by my three when I go out with mealworms in the afternoon. It's true - they jump up at me and get very excited. It's rather lovely, actually!

Comment

I've had to put some purple spray on Mrs Parker. She's got hardly any feathers on her back and it looks as if someone's been pecking at her preen gland and made it bleed a bit. I've been out and bought some anti-peck spray too so I'll "do" the newies tonight when I put them to bed

One decided that the makeshift nest box is a good idea after all 1 lovely egg well hidden in the bedding when I got back today

Comment

Well done you for rescuing those chickens! Glad to hear they are settling in well!
                          Must be funny to see an egg drop whenever, wherever! Bit like the Martini Girl....? Anytime........ any place.......... anywhere....!

Comment

One of my new girls isn't very well She's limping (might have fallen off the step) and just being "quiet". When I picked her up to check her leg (it seems ok, nothing broken) her chest sounded really rattly!! She's not interested in food or drink, not even a freshly picked strawberry that I sneaked past the others. I'm keeping an eye on her, the others seem not too bad considering their poor condition, but I just have this awful feeling that I'm going to lose this one She's resting quietly in one of the nest boxes at the moment and none of the others are bothering her so since she chose that place to be, I won't disturb her for now. Will keep you posted

Comment

Aaaaahhh Maureen, that's a shame. My first ex-batts were in a bad way and when I lost 3 in quick succession I wasn't sure I could go through it again. I know you have been through the mill lately but your girl is in the best place now and hope it's just a bit of stress due to upheaval. No-one knows of course what they have got through before we get them. Fingers crossed she recovers.

Avril x
                              Last edited by frias; 26-06-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Maureen.
                                One of my girls (18 months on) is looking very unwell. I think she looks jaundiced if that's possible. Anyway she's enjoying lots of little treats when no one's looking and resting quietly otherwise. I have a feeling she may soon go to sleep and not wake up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X