Your thoughts please...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walldanzig View Post
    I have some 5 week old silkie chicks they are still under the lamp but have nearly got all their feathers. Do you think it will be ok to swith the lamp off during the day
    Yes during the day for a weekish (choose a warm day for the first time) then if its not cold at night too... in the winter we had some with light at night (and in the begining day too) until 8 or 9 weeks old - but we had put them out in a coop on a sunny day that promptly turned to snow they were quite content to scratch around in the open part until they were a little cold then cuddle up under the light to warm up...

Comment

I've started turning it off during the day we'll see how it goes

Comment

With my chickens I have a flock of adults 9 hens/2 cocks and they roam around the garden with my mixture of hatchlings - 2 x 6 week olds, 10 x 4 week olds and 2 x 2 week olds. They all get on with their own business and the adults don't take any notice whatsoever of the little 'uns. The 2 youngest have not been under heat since about 3 days old as it has been warm enough for them without it, even outside. They sleep together in one of hubbies socks covered with a woolly hat in a tray made from a cereal box stuffed with straw as a bed and from 8 oclock at night until 6/7 in the morning I do not here a peep from them!!

With my new hatchlings (as of today) with Mommy Welsummer I am just going to let them all get on with it. Mrs Welsummer is cantankerous enough to keep the others at bay if they get too close for comfort, but I doubt if they will even care as they are used to the others in my little flock.

Comment

I'm pleased to say- that with a bit of supervision- (for my peace of mind) that they are all getting along fine- all have access to everything- and at the mo, none are broody.
          Betty keeps the chicks to herself, and wanders outside with them quite happily.
          OH has put up a large strip of groundsheet so there is shelter from the sun- and overhead predators....and even light rain!!

Think all should be OK for when we are away next week!

Next concern is getting 3 old Marans ladies when we get back...at least I'll have a bunny hutch for them by then.( I wonder how they will get on with the chicks???)
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X