No announcement yet.

Mycoplasma - please read

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all this info; its appreciated!
    Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

update possible mycoplasma situ

The final outcome .....

The 2 pekins will not be coming home to me. Advised by the vet it would put the POL at risk and the babies when they hatch. If it is mycoplasma they can be carriers also it might return.

The auction house wasnt to interested.

The pekins are being treated with Baytril at the vets and the vet himself is going to keep them as he has no other birds, he wont be eating the eggs. so at least they wont be for the chop.

I have had further conversations with the Animal Health Department and they reiterate no POL's eggs should ever be eaten once treated with antiobiotics as per UK regulations....

Comment

Originally posted by NSB View Post
        I have had further conversations with the Animal Health Department and they reiterate no POL's eggs should ever be eaten once treated with antiobiotics as per UK regulations....
        !!!! What ever happens to the chooks who contract this infection - the waste heap I guess. I AM amazed though, the websites definitely didn't mention culling or stock thinning........sorry that it's not turned out so well for you, I wish it had been different

Comment

Thanks for the message lizzylemon, your right we are very traumatised, cant bring ourselves to go in the garden

Comment

I am so sorry. ((((((big hug)))))

Comment

in my thoughts, I can understand honest xx
              Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

The final outcome .....

The 2 pekins will not be coming home to me. Advised by the vet it would put the POL at risk and the babies when they hatch. If it is mycoplasma they can be carriers also it might return.

The auction house wasnt to interested.

The pekins are being treated with Baytril at the vets and the vet himself is going to keep them as he has no other birds, he wont be eating the eggs. so at least they wont be for the chop.

DEFRA etc have rules, which are about supply to the public (eg sales). Those rules become ADVISORY when applied to home produce. I just plain don't believe in this rule as being essential!
                If antibiotics are not a total waste of time, then any bacterial infection treated should be GONE!
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I don't understand why the eggs won't be ok to eat after the withdrawal period. I don't usually take chickens to the vet, but had a cock once who was prescribed Baytril and I was told that the meat would be ok to eat 28 days after treatment had stopped (he had a mystery lameness and we were going to cull if he hadn't improved). If the meat is ok 28 days later, then why not eggs?

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                    I don't understand why the eggs won't be ok to eat after the withdrawal period. I don't usually take chickens to the vet, but had a cock once who was prescribed Baytril and I was told that the meat would be ok to eat 28 days after treatment had stopped (he had a mystery lameness and we were going to cull if he hadn't improved). If the meat is ok 28 days later, then why not eggs?
                    That is how I see it. It sounds to me like the 'we haven't tested it so it isn't safe' approach, which officialdom seems to consider unavoidable......

Comment

antibiotics stay in the chickens ovaries that pass onto the eggs, therefore UK regulations advice eggs are not to be sold, as when we take antibiotics we do not get the full effect of them due to the antibiotics in the eggs!!!

Thats what I was quoted......

Comment

antibiotics stay in the chickens ovaries that pass onto the eggs, therefore UK regulations advice eggs are not to be sold, as when we take antibiotics we do not get the full effect of them due to the antibiotics in the eggs!!!

Thats what I was quoted......
                        I know about the 'not getting the full effect' thing. The infections can develop something with a similar effect to an immunity to the anti-biotic if we take a very low dose (as indirectly from such sources) over a prolonged period (and that is also why if prescribed anit-biotics you do NOT stop taking them as soon as the infection seems to have gone, you take the whole prescribed course). Thing is, if it stays in the ovaries, it isn't going anywhere, and if it comes out in the eggs, sooner or later it has gone. Either way, a time comes when it just isn't a problem any more. The reason for the 'never eat the eggs' rule is that they haven't tested for when and how thoroughly that happens!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X