Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulations regarding chickens on allotments

Can any of you fine people help.
    I am the allotment officer for Halton Borough Council in Cheshire and one of our tenants have asked me are there any regulations regarding the keeping of chickens on an allotment plot. e.g. The transportation of livestock , where they are purchased, inoculations and do they need to be registered.
    What regulations do you have to apply with. Do vets have to come out periodically to inoculate against salmonella etc , how much does it cost. what are the hazards ,pitfalls and problems.

All advise welcome.

Regards

Alan

I don't know about allotments but...at the moment defra's only requirement is that food and water is kept indoors because of avian flu and owners must have the facilities to keep poultry undercover if asked to. Keepers of 50 and over are required to register their flocks and this is bound to lead to any number of chickens once the 50's and over are registered. Poultry don't need yearly vaccinations, some poultry comes ready vaccinated, it depends on where you buy from.
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Try contacting Macclesfield borough council as they allow chickens, bees and pigs on their allotments and one would presume they could help you out!
      Last edited by Nicos; 19-01-2006, 09:56 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would be cautious of other peoples reactions given the current 'avian flu' situation. I have 3 chcikens and have found peoples attitudes have changed and not for the better. i just get on with it but mine are in my garden. I would fear savage attacks o it may be worth waiting a while? Just my thoughts!

Comment

We can keep chickens on our allotments, and they are next to a pig farm. If you pm me I can put you in touch with a chap who has recently had this crop up at his allotments and will know the ropes I should think - or know a man that does!

Comment

I have recently been granted permission to keep hens at my allotment in Solihull, the only stipulations being that they are well cared for, and all hens, no cockerals allowed, and they are well contained and not able to roam.

Comment

You give me hope Peardrops, as my allotment's in Hollywood, different council I know, but if Solihull can do it perhaps Bromsgrove will let me.

Comment

I can understand about no cockerels - not that I know anything about them really!! On our last site there were 2 guys who had hens and a cockerel each , and the 2 boys (cockerels!) were demented with shouting abuse at each other trying to be dominent at a distance!! I can imagine in a residential area the 3am wake up call in the summer would drive the locals mad. Good luck.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Patsy
                  You give me hope Peardrops, as my allotment's in Hollywood, different council I know, but if Solihull can do it perhaps Bromsgrove will let me.
                  Hi Patsy,

Try looking on you councils website as it's anonimous just in case you've jumped the gun Failing that phone them up and ask. The main problem with keeping them on a lottie site is you have to go every day to see them and make sure they're OK. This is fine unless your at work all day given that it's pronbably dark before you'd leave and when you'd get home around this time of day. Also you've got the problem of security against 2 legged & 4 legged beasts they need shutting up before it gets dark.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X