No announcement yet.

Feather Breakage on Neck

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i took pukka to the vet today, who is very good with hens. He said he was sure it was my other hen picking the feathers early in the AM before being let out, and told me to get 2 more hens. Im surprised because i thought the other hen was the quietest. Does anyone have any experience of feather pecking? and any advice. They both free range in the day thanks
    Jo

Comment

If she's making the other ones skin really sore, it could be the redness that is encouraging her to continue (they are attracted to the colour red, esp. blood). You can put some of that violet anticeptic spray (used on horses quite a lot) onto the affected area to put her off.

Comment

The vet suggested i get another 2 hens, poss a different breed to the lohman browns i have. He suggested black rock? i would like 2 friendly and hardy hens are black rock a good type or does anyone have any suggestions of other breeds that might be suitable. My 2 browns are 1 year old so will get 2 at POL probably
        Jo

Comment

Any other modern hybrid will be suitable - you may have difficulty getting Black Rocks now; a breeder in Yorkshire who contacts me regularly sent me a message yesterday saying the chap who is the official supplier of Black Rocks has retired and apparently there are hardly any more available. Good luck with your search!

Comment

Cotswold chickens are now stocking Black Rock Cotswold Chickens - Point of Lay Pullets, I don't know how far away they are from you
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X