Chicken bedding

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken bedding

Could anyone tell me whether I can use shredded paper for bedding my chickens on? (the ones I have not got yet!). Or is it best to stick to wood shavings?

www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

Yes you can Emma K, but try not to use stuff where the ink could run as I believe it can have harmfull chemicals in it, why not use straw, it's cheap and it works
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Emma K, My friend uses shredded office paper in her hen house. I don't know about harmful inks but the eggs sure are tasty.
      Jax

Comment

I have always been wary of straw or hay with all my animals, it's the best way to introduce mites as they travel from the harvested fields. Chickens are difficult to louse powder becuase feathers don't brush the wrong way easily and it can be hard to get powder right in, thats what I have found so prevention is the key for me!

I have an eglu (www.omlet.co.uk) which doesn't really need bedding, i put shredded paper in the nest box and they dragged it out! However, as a bedding material I would dfefinately reccomend it. it can go on the composter after too!

Comment

You shouldn't use hay for chook bedding as when damp it can harbour fungal spores. On the straw front I have used it for years and never had a problem with mites
          www.poultrychat.com

Comment

When I kept chooks I had a tin of dried sand with louse powder mixed in for a dust bath for them & I used to use dry braken in the nest boxes as it's supposed to repel the little blighters ( mites not chooks).
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Ant powder is really good as well, get it for £1 in my local pound shop, you need the right brand though.
              www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Hi Emma, we discovered Hemcore (shredded hemp) a while ago. It's meant for horse bedding but is great for chickens. It also composts more quickly than straw. Try equine or large farm/animal feed stores. It's about £7.50 for a fairly large bag.

Comment

I use easibed or soft chip for my ferrets, I have started putting some in the nest box as they can't drag it out and it gives the eggs a soft bed so they don't crack. www.easibed.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X