Lice???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
    There, just another thing we have in common .

- then I read the tub which says 'do NOT inhale the dust.' Ho hum!
    I've discovered it makes my head sting but I get little spots - I was convinced it was lice.

I've breathed in tons of louse powder and always think...... gulp .

I bung it in the nest boxes too....
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

They do eat the sand - too true. When one of them gets excitid and poos in the water bucket, there's a lot of sand when I wash it out (or is that too much information?) So should I put louse powder in the nest box and house one week and red mite another?
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I don't think louse powder in the house will do any good I'm afraid - it needs to be on the chook to do any good if the chickens eat the sand, maybe the only option left is to catch and dose them properly.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

OK. They are easy to catch fortunately. I don't know if I should use it as a cure or as a preventative?

Comment

Depends what sort it is? Most of the ones with no chemicals in them are preventative (it should say so on the side) - ones that are used to actually kill the lice often aren't licensed for poultry but it doesn't stop people using them successfully! Some people use Nippon ant powder which apparently does a really great job of killing lice have a nosy on the Practical Poultry forum though, there are endless threads there about killing lice. My girls were plagueed with them constantly, despite regular dusting, until I started using Frontline (not the drops - which are too concentrated - the spray, which is at the weakest concentration of active ingredients).

Comment

Thanks Birdie - what would we beginners do without you seasoned poutlry keepers?

Comment

Not seasoned, just obsessive about information gathering with a new hobby (like yourself!). I only started keeping hens less than three years ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                  Not seasoned, just obsessive about information gathering with a new hobby (like yourself!). I only started keeping hens less than three years ago!!
                  That makes you an expert as far as we're concerned!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Three years? three years? crikey you're a bladdy professor in chookology compared to us lot
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

LOL and I'm not infallable!! But thanks for the vote of confidence

Comment

Love the new avatar Birdie! (Never like Battenburg cake!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X