No announcement yet.

How much for food?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering will the chickens eat as much as you give them?? Should I restrict the amount as whatever i give they eat and i'm using a 20kg bag in about 3 weeks for 7 chickens.
    I have dyslexia so please excuse my spelling and grammar

Comment

I think you're meant to keep it available at all times. If it runs empty, top it up.

Comment

I fill my feeders a couple of times a week...and just leave it for them. It's hung, so I don't have a mouse problem...but they get lots of treats too. I don't know how long mine lasts...I'm rubbish at keeping track...maybe 4 weeks for 5 hens...??

I buy spillers layers pellets...I like the size of it, much finer than others I've tried...and it's about £7 for 20kg!
        I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

i need a feeder i think and something for water as i'm using bowls and they keep pooing in them!!!!!!!
          I have dyslexia so please excuse my spelling and grammar

Comment

Ooh, nice.
            Animals do have some odd habits don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by miss_corerupted View Post
              i need a feeder i think and something for water as i'm using bowls and they keep pooing in them!!!!!!!
              I was looking at feeders and drinkers this afternoon and found a place called 'Solway Feeders' They are considerably cheaper than anywhere else I've found on the net, and when you consider their reasonable postage too it's doubly worth it. They also have one of those self feeding wotsits, where the hen pecks a coil and a small amount of feed is dispensed. So no wastage and no contamination and the feed is kept dry. I'd have thought they'd be ridiculously expensive, but they have a small one for £14.99. Definitely thinking about buying one of those.
              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by miss_corerupted View Post
                They poo in my washing up bowls as well but if you give them fresh food and water each day it doesn't really matter, does it?!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by sheena View Post
                  I pay £5.95 for 20kg down this way... have yet to find cheaper.
                  Where do you get that from?That is cheap! You're not far from me.
                  Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
                    Where do you get that from?That is cheap! You're not far from me.
                    I got it from Frontier which is just off the A1 near Sandy, Beds... they are in yellow pages or if you prefer to use the web Yell.com the UK's local search engine - search for United Kingdom businesses

I get Spillers pellets for that price, they do mash aswell for the same price also.

Also on the note of feeders, I also bought my feeders and drinkers from Frontier, paid a wapping £9.95 for a 2.5l drinker and 3.95 for a 1.5kg feeder.
                    However, I found a website that do them cheaper, and already am considering upgrading the size of the one's I have.
                    I refill them everyday, but I sometimes get complacent and forget when I did it... so I always have to double check them. Sorry i'm waffling now...

Anyway the website is Home Farm Fowls - For all your poultry supplies; from hatching to health and housing...

Dirt cheap for some things, but they don't sell feed either.

Comment

Yep Sheena and I are quite lucky in Frontier's - Spillers £5.95 - 20kg lasts me a week. Mixed Corn is cheap there too and I get my horse and dog food, replacement feeder/drinker if broke louse and mite powder etc etc.

And If I double back at the Sandy roundabout I've a Chinese/Asian superstore on the way to Frontiers from the South (Cheap source of supplies to the restaurant trade) so double whammy
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

How much is the corn there Hayley, I didn't get chnace to look round properly when I went. Hubby was steering me to what we needed there and then, rather doing the woman thing and thinking weeks down the line! Oops did I say that out loud? lol

And you kept that quiet about the Chinese place... I went all the way to Peterborough to get some chinese bits, cos we don't have anything like that here.

Comment

Wow, some of you get really good prices! Spillers and Dodson and Horrels GM free pellets are £7.50 up here at a local farm/feed merchant. My birds take about the same amount of locally grown wheat and barley @ £ 4 / 25 kg as pellets (they shouldn't have too much of those!).

Comment

20kg of mixed poultry corn and stuff lasts all my lot (13 hens, 8 youngsters) about 4 - 6 months. They only get a handful or so late afternoon or early evening once they've had enough of their pellets and greens to make sure they have had a balanced diet
                            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Those Home Farm Fowls feeders look pretty good.
                              Last edited by pdblake; 24-04-2009, 08:53 AM.
                              Urban Escape Blog

Comment

I can't remember if it was you PD,but I seem to remember someone saying that transport was an issue.???
                                If you have a greengrocer nearby,it may be worth asking them if they can get any in & how much for.We've just recently started getting ours from ours...possibly pay a little extra,but saves us making a special journey to get it.
                                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X