• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is she today????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

She's still strong, but still not right. She doesn't seem to be suffering at all. The wound on the prolapse is almost healed where she was pecked. We haven't been able to get the scabbed part back in, so hopefully will be able to do so now, although I'm concerned that it might have been out for too long now? The plan was that the wound was healed enough to remove the last of the scabbing, making it flexible enough to replace. However, now I'm ill and not strong enough to do it. Hope to be fit enough tomorrow. Still, it's been out an awfully long time ... Fingers crossed both that I'm strong enough to get out into the garden and do it tomorrow - and that it goes back in, and stays there. At least we've found the preparation H again, and have it on hand ready.

If it goes back in, then I'm going to try the oyster shell tip. If it doesn't, or won't stay, then I guess I've got to steel myself for the culling I'm so desperately trying to avoid. Please God let it stay in!

Comment

poor girl and poor you, hope she pulls through
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Well, thought I'd give an update on Ballery. She is fit and healthy, and even lays the odd egg - despite not being given layers pellets. And the eggs are perfect.

However, try what we may, the prolapse simply will not go back in. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but her bottom gets very dirty very quickly - and DH says that he's had enough of all the baths now, and that he isn't willing to do any more. I can see his point.

While I had her separated in a pen, Snowy became very bossy and generally too big for her boots, as Ballery wasn't there to be boss any more. She pecks and flies at everyone.

My husband has told me to prepare myself for Ballery to be culled, but I've got one last desperate attempt to save her. I've now let her loose in the main pen, and got Snowy separated in the little coop. My hope (however folorn) is that Snowy will stop being so aggressive when she sees she isn't ruling the roost anymore, and will remember that Ballery is the boss lady. My other hope is that she won't then peck at Ballery's prolapse, as it isn't red or bleeding. My hope is to just let Ballery live the way she is, so long as she isn't suffering.

My husband doesn't think it'll work - and he's probably right, of course. He also thinks that the dirty bottom situation will soon lead to problems - and again, he's probably right. I just can't bear the thought of culling Ballery, and want to give her every chance.

Snowy, now - if she doesn't stop being such an aggressive so and so, I've told her she might end up in the pot!

Comment

Really pleased to hear your hen is ok again. Can't quite work out why she needs to be culled if she's just got a dirty bottom? Is it infected or something?
            Hope all works out ok for poor Ballery.

Comment

However much you don't want to, your husband is right in saying that she will need to be culled. If the prolapse is visible to the other hens, it won't take long before they will start having a peck at it. None of them need encouraging to peck another hen, as if they are given the chance, and you lose Ballery anyway, they may start on another hen. Also the "dirty bottom" bit will attract flies (and therefore infection).

I think it's important not to lose sight of the "flock management" issue, and occasionally, one has to make an unpleasant decision in order to maintain the overall flock health.

Go pour yourself a stiff drink and talk to your husband ...................

Comment

i know how you feel about her, but i'm with richmond hens on this, when it gets dirt and infection inside your hen will suffer and it WILL get infected... hens also hide stuff very well and she could be putting a brave face on

think of this for a moment, if it was you, you would go to the doctors, if it was a dog you would take it to the vets, if she means so much it is possible for her to be spayed (matt brash did it on zoo vet at large) .... but it will be very expensive and probably difficult to find a vet that will do it ... but if you want her to live a decent life it needs to be sorted out ....otherwise before long she will be infested with flies ... and trust me there is nothing worse than going to give her a cuddle only to have a load of maggots fall out

sorry to be so blunt but she is not better, and she will be suffering .....

sorry hugs xxx

Comment

Sometimes that sort of prolapse will 'self-detach' and heal leaving a slightly shortened inner-bit' If that was going to happen, I think it would have done so by now, and failing that option, I agree, it isn't on to keep her.
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

The vet has already said he's not willing to do it as he's pretty sure she'd die in surgery, and my husband did say, right at the beginning, that we could have hens but that they could not go to the vet (so already broke my word slightly on that one by ringing the vet), and must be culled if they aren't laying.

OK - then it's time to be brave. I don't want her to suffer, so I'll go and pour the stiff drink ....

Comment

I really feel for you Caroline, you're being so brave, but you know in your heart that it's the right thing to do xxx Give her a cuddle and a treat before she goes
                      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

sending extra hugggssss i know it's hard xxxxx

Comment

Bless you Caroline!xxIt's something I have no experience of,but reading some of yesterdays replies it does sound like you've done all you can and it's now time for last hugs!Hard as I'm sure it is to say Goodbye,you wouldn't want her suffering!
                          Big hugs to you!(((x)))
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Ask the vet if he charges for ex-batts. I have had 2 put to sleep at the vets and not been charged a penny. I am too much of a wuss to do it myself. ((((big hug)))) cos I know how hard it is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X