Newbie: advice needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sheena View Post

Have enquired about the ex-batts, although not sure if I will get accepted or not. Is there any such criteria you need to meet before hand? The next rehoming day for my area is this saturday!!! :yikes: Although i will be ready by then, I don't think they will let me rehome at that short notice, surely?
    If you're all up and ready for chooks, and the rescue is desperately trying to home the girls, then yes, they will let you have them at short notice.

Originally posted by sheena View Post

One other thing... what exactly is the purpose of rings? I know pidgeon's have them for ID reason's, but why chicken?
    The only reason some of my girls have "bracelets" is so I know who's who Though I can tell (most of the time) without looking at the colour of the band. It's not necessary to have them really.

Good luck with your girls
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Cheers Maureen, thats pretty much what I thought the bracelets were for.

Am half way to having the run ready... a few minor tweeks here and there, and we should be done by the end of the day. (Just having a cuppa and a break).

Waiting anxiously by the phone incase the rescue co-ordinator calls, but nothing yet. Ooohhh I'm so excited!

Comment

Maybe not as progress has I hope for, but still well on the way to success.
        At least I hope so!!! My chooks coming Saturday!!!!

I got my call this afternoon whilst getting some extra wire for the run... I got the go ahead to go get my 4 girls on Saturday.
        So now it's all hands on deck, should deffo have it finished tomorrow.

Comment

Pics please!!! when the girls arrive Will also give you something to look back on and see how far they've come!
          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Will most certainly do so... I can't wait!

I'm gonna keep a little diary of how well they do from the time I get them to full health again (plumage returning and so on).

It's so exciting, I don't think I felt this excited when I had my own children! lol *hangs head in shame*

Comment

That's just how I'm feeling ! Like a new mum to be. How sad we are!!!
              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

We're not sad at all We're just chicken keepers wanting to give our girls the best life we can
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Hi Sheena, there's a big pet food shop on the A141 heading out of Warboys towards Chatteris on the right hand side, I'm pretty sure they sell chook food. There is also a lady in Bedfordshire that recues ex-batts 30-40 at a time and will be having a rescue around Easter time. PM me if you want the number, she charges £1.50 per chook and the 10 I got the other week weren't too bad feather wise
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

£9 for layers is a bit expensive I pay £5.95 from Frontiers on the A1 between Sandy and St Neots (Northbound), Warboys may well be cheaper than Pets at Home. Where are you collecting the girls from is it Maulden?
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

I'm getting my girls from BHWT in Wisbech.

Just gave Fronier's a call, and looks like I might be popping down there in the next hour or so. Finished putting the run together at least, just gotta staple the wiire to it now, shouldn't take me too long and we are all set to go.

Just gotta get food, and the more essential bits - how to feed them (feeder and drinker).

I couldn't seem to find a number for the pace in Warboys, but no doubt i'll be passing there again (went past last night, but it was closed) but at least I can keep my head above the water with what I get from Frontiers for the time being.

Comment

Frontiers sell the green and white range of feeders and drinker and are very reasonable cost wise got a new 8 litre drinker there a couple of weeks ago for just over £11.00 make sure you have the green stuff as the red and white range is carp
                        Hayley B

Comment

A thought, their mixed corn for treats is reasonable as well in 20kg bags and you may need layers mash as the ex-batts won't know what the pellets are you need to trickle feed the pellets with the mash to start until they are fully eating the pellets, they sell smallholder small bags of mash (you won't need a 20kg)
                          Hayley B

Comment

The rescue co-ordinators are gonna sort me some mash to mix with the pellets, I did think about it whilst I was at Frontier's, but not worth getting the mash if i'm gonna switch them to pellets.

So, now i think i'm pretty much sorted. Only need louse powder now (which I don't I will need until a minimum of a week after getting the girl's) and of course my girl's.

Saturday can't round quick enough.

Have managed to get a friend of mine into keeping chickens now too, so she on the lookout for bits to build her run. (Jealous, cos she got a bigger garden than me).
                            All the advice I have recieved from here has helped us both a great deal.

I probably wouldn't have plucked (sorry) up the courage to actually do it, if it hadn't of been for all the advice and stories I have read throughout the forum.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support, you're a great bunch and have made me feel welcome. A million thank you's are not enough.

Comment

Ooooh eggciting, don't forget to post piccies of the new laydees and of course add them to the chooks on grapevine thread
                              Hayley B

Comment

Hi,
                                Am glad to hear you chose ex-batts Sheena, they are so wonderful!!
                                I work with Little Hen Rescue (Norwich) and we are always looking for homes for ex-batts. We have a big rescue on 9th April and we have a yard where you can collect your girls from, our we have co-ordinatirs that cover Essex, Suffolk and Cambridge too.
                                We also stock feed and supplies too.
                                My email address is: littlehenrescue@googlemail.com if anybody would like more info. Or our website is: Home

Thanks,
                                Em

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X