• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry for you loss caroline Im sure your other girls will be fine
    Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Sorry to hear the bad news, Caroline

As others have said, chickens can just die suddenly - they are fragile prey animals with a high metabolism and seem to be more vulnerable to stress than other pets. I don't blame you for not taking her for a post-mortem, as it's expensive and probably pointless - it's almost certainly nothing that would affect your other hens. I took mine to the vets when they suddenly became very lethargic (probably heat shock and stress), but there was nothing the vet could do so it was wasted money really. The only reason I'd take one now would be for a nasty respiratory infection, as they can pass those to humans. A few chicken health supplies from somewhere like Ascott works out much cheaper!

I'm sure your little ones will get over it quickly, even if they do need a good cry first! And at least you have two hens left to keep one another company. In fact, in a few weeks' time when you are sure the others are OK, it might be an idea to get a couple more if you have space, just in case you lose another one.

Comment

Thanks so much for your support, everyone. It means a lot. We checked the base of the feathers (we'd already checked the vent) - perfect. She was just in perfect condition, so it's clearly like you're saying - just one of those things, and that they're fragile.

My daughter's taken it pretty well. She's been a bit emotional and weepy about other things since she heard (which is out of character), but didn't directly cry about Speckle. She went to check that the other 2 are OK (they are) and asked to see Speckle's body so that she could say goodbye. She seems OK now. Like you say, kids are pretty resilient.

I think we'll take your advice, Eyren, and get some more fairly quickly. We have space for 6 comfortably. Actually, we have space for 10 at a push, but my garden couldn't stand it!!! We went over the top making their coop comfortable for them :-)

I love Light Sussex, so maybe we'll start searching for some which aren't too far from us. I wouldn't want to get any which look like Speckle, it would make me sad. I feel a bit pathetic, actually. I keep saying to myself, "They're just hens, for goodness sake!" But you get attached to them, don't you? They're such characters.

Hopefully I'll have learned my lesson and enjoy them without being so emotionally attached in future.

Possibly the decision we made today to build an incubator and buy some fertile eggs isn't exactly the right way to go about avoiding being emotionally attached :-) They're destined for the allotment, though, not home - I think.

I'm slightly dreading tomorrow morning, in case another one dies. But I'm sure you're right that they'll be fine really.

Meanwhile, anyone know where I could get a couple of Light Sussex within striking distance of Bromley? (Kent/Sussex/Essex/South East London)

Comment

Originally posted by CarolineW View Post
          Thanks so much for your support, everyone. It means a lot. We checked the base of the feathers (we'd already checked the vent) - perfect. She was just in perfect condition, so it's clearly like you're saying - just one of those things, and that they're fragile.

My daughter's taken it pretty well. She's been a bit emotional and weepy about other things since she heard (which is out of character), but didn't directly cry about Speckle. She went to check that the other 2 are OK (they are) and asked to see Speckle's body so that she could say goodbye. She seems OK now. Like you say, kids are pretty resilient.

I think we'll take your advice, Eyren, and get some more fairly quickly. We have space for 6 comfortably. Actually, we have space for 10 at a push, but my garden couldn't stand it!!! We went over the top making their coop comfortable for them :-)

I love Light Sussex, so maybe we'll start searching for some which aren't too far from us. I wouldn't want to get any which look like Speckle, it would make me sad. I feel a bit pathetic, actually. I keep saying to myself, "They're just hens, for goodness sake!" But you get attached to them, don't you? They're such characters.

Hopefully I'll have learned my lesson and enjoy them without being so emotionally attached in future.

Possibly the decision we made today to build an incubator and buy some fertile eggs isn't exactly the right way to go about avoiding being emotionally attached :-) They're destined for the allotment, though, not home - I think.

I'm slightly dreading tomorrow morning, in case another one dies. But I'm sure you're right that they'll be fine really.

Meanwhile, anyone know where I could get a couple of Light Sussex within striking distance of Bromley? (Kent/Sussex/Essex/South East London)
          Hi Caroline I know its not easy ( sounds silly typing it as they are chickens ) still animals are great and imo more so then alot of humans I get my eggs from a local farmer but last week i went to ebay for some light sussex eggs
          i got 6 one was broken when it come but the rest ~5 days in the incub are all fertile and growing . I cant say if they are pure breeds or not like the advert says still if u want the ebay members link send me a message

ps
          people say its enjoyable hatching your own eggs yet iv found it stressful,
          and worried about them 24/7 for the past 20 days saying that i just got more ordered ..............
          Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Originally posted by CarolineW View Post
            Try the Practical Poultry forum or pick up a copy of the magazine - there are lots of small ads in the back for breeders all over the country. Good luck in your quest!

Comment

Sorry to hear about Speckle. ((((( big hug ))))) One of mine died recently. I took her body to the vet for a post mortem but he said he was no longer allowed to do them. He didn't think it was worth it to send her away either. He said chickens can just die very easily for no apparent reason. Hopefully your other girls are well. I'ts impossible not to get attached to these chickens isn't it? I swore I wouldn't, but love them every bit as much as I did the cats and dogs I've had.

Comment

Happily, our other 2 girls are still in fine fettle. I'm going to hunt for somewhere to buy some more over the weekend, though, as I think Eyren's advice is very sound. Meanwhile, my husband has told me to Google plans for making your own incubator, so looks like chicks are on their way before too long, too

Comment

Caroline,
                  Sorry to hear that you "lost" one of your chickens.
                  I hope you don't mind though if I ask a question. We too are considering keeping a few chicks (3-4) and like you, live in Bromley (well, Petts Wood) - I assume that there are no bylaws etc regarding keeping them. I was going to trawl through the forum and research at the local council but was actually directed here from another site, thought it looked great (for my veg attraction) and then saw your post + BROMLEY so I thought I would be lazy and ask direct. Any other advice appreciated (where to purchase etc).

Many thanks,

Phil
                  Phil
                  www.hardybananas.co.uk

Comment

Hi Phil - although we live in Bromley, we actually fall under Lewisham council (?!) due to being near a council border. With them, it's no problem at all - although we can't keep a cockerel. Even if the neighbours wished to complain, they would have no case.

It's probably the same for Bromley. Just give the council a quick call and you'll find out - that's what we did. The guy we spoke to was really encouraging and supportive - apparently Lewisham council is all for people keeping hens.

I must warn you, though, to be prepared in advance with traps, etc, for rats!!! Because we had all our food shut away in metal containers we didn't expect them - but BOY did we get them! I guess they're always there - this is a suburb of London after all, and you're never far from a rat in London - but the hens bring them out into the open. The council rat man told me it's because the hens suggest that there's food there, plus shelter, etc.

We have live traps down at all times now, are completely paranoid about not allowing food to lie around at night, and have poison ready in case it's needed. That seems to be working now.

I went somewhere miles away for our hens, but someone here recommended someone in Leatherhead, I think it was. I'll try to find it for you.

When things calm down here, we hope to incubate some eggs. So who knows, if you still didn't have any by then you might be able to get them from us

Actually, we know of someone who is selling some silver links, plus another breed, I think, in Eltham, complete with (apparently very nice) coop. He has been breeding them, but his wife is insisting on having the garden back for the children. He has offered them to someone else, but I suspect they aren't going to take them. PM me if you're interested, and I'll give you more details.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X