No announcement yet.

Ducks in the allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My chickens roam the veg patch, I have used pond netting (about 4' high) and bamboo canes around the beds I don't want them to get to.
    I have the extendable net/poly cloches which I use on seedlings and smaller plants, any pots I don't want them sitting in or digging at I use a dome of chicken wire over the top.
    I am just making a mesh door for the greenhouse to let air in and keep chooks/rabbits out.
    You have to be inventive with the way you protect things, but you can have a veg patch with chooks in, as Eyren said they help with the pest control.
    The pond idea Eyren had is fab and I would go with that but build a frame and put it on blocks raised a couple of inches so that the frogs and toads can come and go easily.

Eyren: ref your netting weave a bamboo cane through the net at the bottom as a weight and the chooks can't lift it and slide under to the plants.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken slave View Post
      Eyren: ref your netting weave a bamboo cane through the net at the bottom as a weight and the chooks can't lift it and slide under to the plants.
      Ah, good tip - thanks! I've been sticking in extra upright canes to straighten up the sagging sections, which hopefully will help.

I think we are probably using similar stuff - mine was sold as pond/bird netting, and has mesh of about 2cm gauge. And like you, I use bits of chicken wire to keep the little madams off my mini-greenhouse shelves and large pots. Not very elegant, but relatively cheap!

Comment

We have chickens, ducks and quail and I have to say that the chickens are the easy ones to look after as the quail smell very bad and if you get it on your hands you can't get the smell off...but the ducks are so cool, they will eat anything they find mine come into the house from the back door and eat at the house plants...and they do make a mess of the garden.

The eggs off them all are nice...we eat the quail eggs as well you just need about 10.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X