No announcement yet.

Darned Cockeral

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had cocks that do this and I see that if it isn't because of him protecting his girls, it is bad and could be passed on to later generation so I wring their neck.
    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
    For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Don't have chooks but have worked with them in the past and turkeys too - best thing for an aggressive cock is to wring it's neck, so I'm with Matthew on this one - problem is if you have a fully mature male turkey, you need to be bloody strong to do it !
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by matthew2riches View Post
        I have had cocks that do this and I see that if it isn't because of him protecting his girls, it is bad and could be passed on to later generation so I wring their neck.
        Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
        Don't have chooks but have worked with them in the past and turkeys too - best thing for an aggressive cock is to wring it's neck, so I'm with Matthew on this one - problem is if you have a fully mature male turkey, you need to be bloody strong to do it !
        Bit quick to wring necks tonight, I was brought up with a rooster with attitude and this isn't half as bad as he was so I think a couple of weeks to see how nature plays out is a small price to pay. His brother isn't the same so genetically it isn't a fault in the gene pool, just a male with a little too much testosterone.

Comment

Coq an Vin. That would be a solution.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken slave View Post
            Apparently not.

His brother who is on holiday next door is really placid and doesn't show any signs of aggresion at all.

A friend has said chase him when he starts and it will show him who's boss, but my garden is massive and I'll be exhausted after 1 lap.
            Yep and it only works if you can get him to run away! I tried it with my shirty roo and he just attacked me I had to drive him into a corner with my riot sheild (rubber bucket) and pin him to the fence for a few minutes just to get him to stop on that occaision - after repeated such experiences hes less volatile but I wouldn't turn my back on him...

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
              We once had a bantam cockered who was a bit aggressive - we used to take a spade into the run with us and swing it at him if he started puffing up. After a few bats, he gave up and saw us as boss.
              Yeah....a spade would just about do that!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm sure one of my chicks, which are barely a week old must be a cockerel. I call him Bruce (Lee) as he seems to want to dropkick the rest of the chicks. Quite funny at his age, but I would imagine quite alarming when he gets older!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Re the aggressive cockerel - just make sure that absolutely certain no young children can get anywhere near him - if the worst happened, you could not only have to have him dispatched, but could end up in court .
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X