How young to buy chicks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How young to buy chicks?

If I buy 18 week old chicks how long will it be til they start to lay eggs? Are there any advantages of getting them younger or older? or at any particular time of year? I was thinking March or so. After much surfing, I haven't found a good chicken info website (apart from here that is), any suggestions?
    Thanks

Hi rauni,

I depends on the breed of the chickens, at 18 weeks a black rock could start laying along with some other hybrids. If you get chickens young then they have plenty of time to settle in and get over the stress of moving so I would suggest you buy you chickens at POL (point of lay)
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Hi rauni,

As poultrychat said, it depends on the breed. Hybrids tend to start to lay younger than traditional (pure) breeds.

It also depends on the time of year, as chickens need a certain number of hours light per day to lay eggs. IIRC, its about 14 hours light per day.

I've had both pure breeds and hybrids. My first chickens were Welsumers and Rhode Island Reds. Got them 1st November one year, they didn't start to lay until the following February (slowed down by the lack of light). I've had several MeadowSweet hybrids since (Bovan Nera, Buttercup, Goldline and RhodeStar). Got them POL in the summer and they've started laying with a few weeks.

You can buy pure breed chicks from day old upwards, but if you get them very young they need more looking after (eg a heat lamp and different food). I've had all of mine from POL and by spending a bit of time with them - especially if I have food! - they've all become rather tame and fine to handle etc.

Another downside on getting them really young is you might not be able to tell the boys from the girls yet. The obvious differences usually only come through with pure breeds as the birds get nearer POL. So if you get really young pure breeds, you might end up with some unwanted cockerels.

The plus side is that they would be cheaper if they are younger.

Cost also differs - my pure breeds cost about £25 per bird, hybrids £10-15 (though cost seems to vary around the country quite a bit, and might come down if you buy a lot of birds).

Most hybrids I've seen are sold at POL, or fairly close, and they are always pullets (girls).

These are my three favourite poultry websites:

The Poultry Keepers

Practical Poultry

and

Omlet

Hope you find something you like.

And of course, you can always ask away here - seems there are at several of us keen on chooks!

edited to add: point of lay (POL) seems to be used as a vague term for an age range of around 16-23 weeks. It is no indication that they will lay...
      Last edited by CityChick; 09-01-2006, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Or my favourite one is poultrychat.com
        www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X