Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's animal hospital here folks!

Oh boy- we nearly lost the youngest yellow one

Mum had left the nest with the older chick and left the eggs and newest one in the nest- goodness knows why!
    Anyway the yellow one had got very very cold ( and the eggs) and basically looked dead

I put Betty back on her nest with brown chick and brought the yellow one inside to see what had happened- couldn't see it breathing and it was stretched out with it's head stretched up and backwards, and legs out straight behind it.
    Feet straight into warm water- gave it a good rub and wrapped it in a flannel on top of the radiator and just kept rubbing it.
    After about 5 mins it started to move and after 20 mins began to chirp a bit and open its eyes.
    After 1/2 hr it's back under Betty and chirping away.
    Let's hope it'll be OK.

Older chick has drawn blood on one foot- so I've put a small amount of purple spray on its feet as I don't want the cockerels to notice

Just noticed that both the cockerels have a sort of black mite/tick on their combs....I've seen them in the field on wildbird feathers, so they'll always be exposed- what should I do...would frontline work???

Whatever next folks???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nicos; 16-02-2009, 04:32 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Well done for having a go. Fingers crossed baby chick is OK.
    Don't know it it would work on whatever your cockerels have on their combs but if you put vaseline on a tick it drops off because it can't breath.

Comment

Ah! Vaseline the wonders of petroleum jelly

ducks and runs

PS - hair dryer - used with caution is pretty good for warming cold babies..
      Last edited by CoraxAurata; 16-02-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

OK OK, I should have said petroleum jelly 'cos I don't buy real Vaseline anyway.

Comment

Good job you were there Nicos - sounds like a close call. Fingers crossed.

Fab pics btw.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Little'un is fine when put to bed- I offered a bit of scrambled egg as a treat to say 'thank you for pulling through'

Took all my effort to stop Betty eating it all....she kept saying.." boy - this is yum..you should try a bit....come on ...hurry up...tis nearly all gone kids..."

Little'un did have a tiny taste- so that's good news!

Mites/ticks...yup- will use the tube of Vaseline I bought...good idea!!
            ( I did check the rest f their bodies- and there's nothing obvious at the mo ( famous last words???)

Purple spray...think it's working...it just is nipping at the unsprayed bits of it's feet....tomorrow it's the whole leg if it 's still alive and nipping!!!!

Comment

Yellow Chickie with purple feet - now you're beginning to sound like Lynda lol!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

glad it all seems to have worked out in the end.... please, please keep us all posted. Little uns, they sure do bounce back quick, no matter the species
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Aww....RedThorn...thanks for showing an interest!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Aww....RedThorn...thanks for showing an interest!
                    no problem.. that piccie of you lil yellow sure tugged the ol' heartstrings..... glad it's doing well.
                    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Por little soul - it looks so pathetic stretched out there. Good job they are so resilient. A bit like baby people really!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

aawwww, glad you were there to rescue it, well done
                        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I'm watching this thread and storing away all the information in my head for when I need it so glad the little one pulled through, well done Doctor Nicos
                          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Oh the little ones feet look really sore!! Poor wee thing.
                            I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Poor little ones - I'm glad yellow chick has perked up, and hope tender foot feels better tomorrow too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X