Using a fish tank for brooding?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
    Try pound land for the anti slip mat... (looks almost like woven foam rubber)
    That's the bunny! Glad it's only £1
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yes but it sounds like Poundland is the place!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

That looks interesting! Might even get some myself - since I have no old mouse mats <g> and I'm running out of tea towels too!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Apparently I've got to aim for about 90 deg F? I'll try a thermometer in bottom of tank overnight with light lit and see what temp it is!
          i had mine in the living room and never tested the temperature, but they always looked warm under a 60 watt bulb ..... they move away from it if it's too hot and snggle up under it if its cold

but at a week old they were in the playpen with just the bulb and lots of straw in a cardboard box, (and their stuffed chicken) and they have been fine, they will show you if it's warm enough.

Comment

I was thinking of rubber matting as well though old mouse mats are a clever idea.

Only Lynda could give cuddly toys and diggers to chooks, they'll grow up with warped minds, will write endless Xmas lists to santa, and will need asbos by the time they're a year old
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
              I was thinking of rubber matting as well though old mouse mats are a clever idea.

Only Lynda could give cuddly toys and diggers to chooks, they'll grow up with warped minds, will write endless Xmas lists to santa, and will need asbos by the time they're a year old
              hey they already have an asbo ........ only asbo legs it every time they are out of the playpen ....... and it werent me wot got the elephant and digger di sent them ..... i felt like they needed something to snuggle as they haven't got a mummy, and they liked it so there

Comment

Think I might have just struck lucky!! My friends have a vivarium (4' long) that's got all the heating equipment, thermostat etc that's no longer in use since their lizard snuffed it. I think I can have it in exchange for a computerised telescope that I never use, so I can put my babies (if any hatch) in it for a few weeks I've already been given a huge dog-crate thing to put them in as well, so I'm all set.

*note to self - get some of the anti-slip stuff from Poundland*
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

i had a look at the anti slip stuff today, i'd be a bit concerned that they could peck bits off it to be honest, it doesn't look very strong.

how about an antislip bath mat with the suckers on the bottom cut to shape?? bet they have them in poundland too, and will last longer
                  Last edited by lynda66; 15-02-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Well it's a definite YES on the vivarium (will have to call it a chookarium now!)

Think you might be on to something there Lynda about bath mats instead of anti-slip stuff - unless I can get a mouse mat thats 4' x 2', or I might get some cheap washable cotton rugs from Ikea
                    Last edited by MaureenHall; 15-02-2009, 10:25 PM.
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

thats an elephant mat

and i'd still use shavings and straw, they were happy on it, they could poke round in it and chuck it over themselves, can't help but think a mat would be very boring and get dirty very quickly, whereas the shavings absorb everything.
                      Last edited by lynda66; 15-02-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I think I may be going down the tea towel route as mentioned earlier............at least for the first few days!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If the 'base' is too smooth, shavings/straw won't prevent sliding about. I'd use something 'non-slip' UNDER the shavings/straw. If you could get a small enough piece, that thick black garden pond liner might be good, maybe an 'off cut' from someone's odd-shaped pond?
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            So I need a stuffed chicken, cat toys that rattle, a little digger, a stuffed elephant, a mirror and chickens with a sense of humour?
                            I'm having a big sort out of the kiddies toys this week....you'll have to let me know if there's anything you need!!
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

No shavings for the first few days - if they do eat them they get really blocked up....

Snadger - you may want to cut a bit of cardboard to fit the bottom of the tank to put the tea towel on - mine didn't slide around on that......

Comment

I brooded quail chicks in a heated propagator, that worked well. I used kitchen roll for flooring which had to be changed often but went on the compost heap. I plan to use a heat-pad for table chicks with a fleecy cover and a cardboard box over the top of it. (I might paint it to look like a mummy hen!!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X