No announcement yet.

Dirty bottoms!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, cos that didn't work either. (I had already bought it elsewhere anyway.) Had to use a sheep wormer. He did a lot of research for me and didn't charge. A very caring and good vet I think.

Comment

Blimmin 'eck! And sheeps' bums are MASSIVE compared to chickens!

Treasure that vet!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Do any of you feed (or add to the water) garlic to help keep the worm burden down?

Comment

I use garlic powder in porridgy mix. Tried garlic clove in water too. Also put Apple Cider Vinegar in water. I think we have some very resistant worms around here. Flubenvet is usually very effective but parasites can build up a resistance to it. (Like bugs and antibiotics I suppose.)

Comment

Yes, my lot get garlic powder in their mash as well as ACV in their water. I used to worm them every month with Verm-X but when they'd finished off the supply I had, I changed to Flubenvet because you only have to dose them every six months (come to think, they're about due for the next lot this month)
            Last edited by MaureenHall; 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM.
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              Re. the question of wormers. Some people swear by Verm-X some use Flubenvet. Flubenvet demonstrably works. Verm-X I think is a sort of preventative - makes the gut unpleasant for parasites. However, I've hear of worm infestations surviving Verm-X but they don't with Flubenvet. Verm-X is herbal. Your choice really.
              If you use Flubenvet you only worm twice a year - Spring and Autumn are suggested.
              I completely agree with Flum - I use Flubenvet which you can get online for about 15 quid and no chicken dragged to the vet for a check up. It says on the instructions to repeat the wormer after 3 week break for free rangers to help 'catch' any eggs that may be left from when they first had it and then it goes into the twice year cycle.

It's very easy to use and doesn't have a withdrawal time for eggs but 1 week for meat birds though.

Comment

I bought Flubenvet at a horsey place for £12. Unfortuately I was still seeing white moving worms in the poo after several repeat wormings. I didn't want to take girls to the vet as I thought this would upset them more but knew at least one still had worms, so felt vet was neccessary, especially as even laboratory testing of faeces hadn't been able to identify worms.Turned out she had a tape worm and vet also examined the one I had taken along for company. She unfortunately has tumours but vet says she is fine and not in pain. Just won't make old age. I'm glad I went to the vet as he knew his stuff and handled my girls really well.

Comment

*Ducks Lynda's plaster casts/crutches

I'm using Verm-X but will probably change to Flubenvet when this batch runs out. Dawn had dirty knickers a couple of days ago but is fine now - must have eaten sommat dicky.
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I only purchased my latest batch verm-x last week so the girls will be having that for a while yet to come. It has worked so far and on one bad infestation - but I do use it as preventative since then - I have used the stuff you add to water but this latest batch is the granule form – But I can say categorically it did get rid of a nasty infestation and has kept them (fingers crossed) clear since then. I will know what to choose now if I get any problems, I am still interested in the sheep wormer idea as I have lambs occasionally and the stuff the farmer gives me pound for pound would be much cheaper than my verm-x!
                    Regards
                    Pat
                    "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X