Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What (if anything) are you planning for Spring?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What (if anything) are you planning for Spring?

Thought I'd start a wee thread to discuss our chicken plans for Spring 2009.

I'll start...lol....I'm planning on hatching (attempting to) lavender & mottled pekins, mini silkies (?) for my small girl pen. And...(it's sooo addictive) buying some blue copper maran, buff (or black) orpington and light sussex pullets to add to the big girl pen!

So, eggcite me.....
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

getting mine outside lol ........ then visiting the auctions and getting some that all look the same so i can eat em ....... and teaching pingu some more tricks ....... like fetch and not to poop on my keyboard

Comment

Get my finances sorted out so I can get some eggs to hatch and have babies like Lynda Not sure what kind I want though, think I'd like to go for a specific breed rather than lucky-dips. Still trying to convince myself that I could eat something I'd reared!
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

converting the old wendy house so i can house my ex-bats cause OH knows i'll come back with more than 2
        has anyone used covered cat litter trays with straw as nesting boxes or can you see any problems using them cause ive got 2 which could be utilised in the wendy house
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Can't see why the cat litter boxes shouldn't work, they've got privacy in there so give it a go. If they don't like them you can always improvise with cardboard boxes turned on their sides
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

thanks maureen
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
              converting the old wendy house so i can house my ex-bats cause OH knows i'll come back with more than 2
              has anyone used covered cat litter trays with straw as nesting boxes or can you see any problems using them cause ive got 2 which could be utilised in the wendy house
              They sound ideal - easy to clean and nowhere for the red mite to lurk!

Comment

Definately at least a couple(or so!)more chooks!Can't quite make my mind up as to which ones?...Quite fancy getting some bantams again,but also have been looking at blue egg layers,but maybe too pricey...Am also toying with the idea of trying to hatch some,but really don't know how we'd cope with cocks?(erals!!)...if it were just me & Andi then I'd probably just go for it,but really don't know whether the kiddies are up to watching little boys hatch out & then love them lots & then get them served up one Sunday for a rather tasty lunch!
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Lots of eggs

Maybe get some more girlies end of Summer may be sorely tempted
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

We are hoping to save up for an automatic incubator, and hatch some duck eggs (providing they start laying!)

We're also considering some turkeys for Christmas, and selling hatching-eggs on eBay... of course, all this means that I will be expecting Mr OWG to make a new bird pen as well!!

Comment

Plans are to get my hens in a month or two. Just got the hen house so things are now moving!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

once cockeral is sorted and since one of my baby polands was cat-napped, have room for 3 more in the coop... will probably go for pekins so can hatch some ducks and meat birds under them...

teenagers at my church are being drafted in to make and extended run in the garden for all the new additions.. plus a pallet house for the meat birds... phew!

and growing bigger by the day hopefully and our first little chick is on the way end of summer.! eek

Comment

Plans?

Dig more beds.
                          Get timber and make raised edges for all beds.
                          Dig Bean trench.
                          Get more Chooks.
                          Finish putting up Polytunnel frame.
                          Buy plastic to cover said frame.
                          Finalise planting plan.
                          Get more Chooks.
                          Finish painting sheds and put up in 'Allotment.'
                          Sow seeds - anything and everything!!
                          Move Chooks to new site once fencing is secure.
                          Get more Chooks.
                          Win lottery.
                          Lose weight.
                          Get more customers.
                          Oh, and did I mention, I may get some more Chooks.
                          And a Turkey to fatten for Christmas Dinner.

Better get off the bl**dy computer and get my @r*e into gear then...
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I'd like to sort out an outdoor, fox/dog proof run so I can leave the lads and lasses out whilst I go out a bit more.( and they don't trash the veg plot when stuff starts growing!) Just a run and a bit of shelter for the day ( and a nest box too I suppose) as they'll be properly locked up indoors at night.

Would like a couple of Marans cos I'd like some chocolate cream eggs for Easter

...oh- and a few likkle chicks would be fun- although that project is underway!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm planning to start my first real flock (I've had a few hybrids in the garden in the past). I'm after some layers (already ordered) and a trio of pure bred birds so that I can breed/hatch/win all the prizes at the local agricultural show.........dreams, but I'm finally making a start
                              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X