We did it!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We did it!!

First cock in the fridge ready to be eaten in a couple of days!

OH says it wasnt so bad doing the deed but i have to say my plucking technique needs to improve!!! Any suggestions!!!!
    How do you get all the little bits out, he is featherless but there are still quite a few bits of the feather shaft still in the skin?????????
    Gutting not a problem and no where near as smelly as i thought.
    So next week i will separate the rest of the boys that need to go. Maybe this will encourage my girls to produce rather than being intimidated.
    We are leaving `big bird`as the kids call him with the girls, he is a big white brahma with a lovely tame nature, rounds up the girls and roosts with them, what a lovely cockeral.

Sandra

I read somewhere that you can singe the hair root off...actually I believe I read it in January's edition of PP.

I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well done!!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

We ate it!!!!!!!!!

Wow did he taste good! Will defiantely be doing the same with the excess males we have. He weighed in at nearly 4 lbs, amazing. Need to get my girls laying I cant believe I havent had ONE egg yet!!!!!!!!
        Now i have a question after looking into this plucking business. Would an epilater work?Obviously not for the main plucking but for the difficult bits. I used to have one used it twice and decided that it was far too painful!!!!! Unfortunately binned it! I cant afford one of those all singing all dancing machine things. Such a shame really the skin of this one cooked beautifully and looked like it would taste wonderful but it had stubble in too many parts to eat around it!

Sandra

Comment

I have found when I bought a free-range bird that there were still some 'stubs' (or whatever they are termed) left in patches. I usually just pull them out and wonder if they are just easier to remove after a day or two?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

My OH (chef for 40 years) says singeing over a flame is definately best. You can also get chefs tweezers which are bigger and stronger than ordinary tweezers.

Comment

i heard that if you put the chicken in hot water before plucking any feathers it opens the pores so you get less stubble and less tears...

anyone tried that? (our first attempt will be next week!)

Comment

Glad he tasted so good- it must make it all worth while!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

we had a similar problem with the ones we have just killed for the table. I got my tweezers out - never thought to look on line for chef's tweezers - will go and have a butchers now!
                  Best love

Steelsy
                  xxx

www.myspace.com/steelsy

Comment

Originally posted by steelsy View Post
                    we had a similar problem with the ones we have just killed for the table. I got my tweezers out - never thought to look on line for chef's tweezers - will go and have a butchers now!
                    If you find some- can you let us know where to get one from please???
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

There's chef's tweezers and pliers here that might do the job Fish Tools + Utensils > Kitchen Utensils. Chefs Cookware PLUS.
                      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X