No announcement yet.

Hen Houe - Wood Vs Plastic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, thanks for all the interesting views from wooden hen house owners and the plastic eglu owners!

I am still torn between the two. I have been on a Omlet Hen Party & met an eglu mk II owner. I think the cleaning and the funky design are fab! But I think the eglu a little small for 4 chooks really, and still pricey even on ebay. (Doesn't stop me looking though!!!)

So, it's back to drawing board for us and hubby is going to design and build one. Carpentry is not his trade (nor any other type of handiwork/diy!!) but he will build it. He's off to buy more shiplap cladding for the walls and some cuprinol I think to preserve it all. Our first lot of timber has been treated with Wickes Wood Preserver (not suitable for garden furniture let alone chooks!) that is what the run and the supports of the house will be made from.

Anybody got any great and easy building plans?

Comment

Plywood is MUCH easier to work with than shiplap!
      You can get an outdoor grade.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

"But I think the eglu a little small for 4 chooks"

I agree. 3 Chooks, or 4 Bantams max, I reckon.

"still pricey even on ebay"

I agree.

But its still fab!
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

(Quote) "All my houses are made from wood as my OH is good at his DIY. I like the look of the eglus but as we're on such a tight budget, even the secondhand ones are too expensive (though I might buy one at £50 ). OH built enough coops to house about 30 chickens at a total cost of around £250, using free reclaimed timber, some exerior plywood, latches and hinges. I'm a lucky gal!"

What plan did your OH use or was it from his head? My hubby is supposed to be building our hen house and I've told him I want a house not an ark as they seem to have wasted space in the corners of the triangle.

We've bought some cuprinol shades for our wood and have painted it all with a couple of coats. What stuff do you treat yours with? Our first batch of wood was treated with Wickes wood preserver under the recommendation from a man at the poultry centre - however, wickes say the stuff isn't suitable for the chooks so we were confused. Hubby was less than pleased.

With the wood all painted, it's now the challenge of the design, cutting and construction! Wish us luck! I'm not sure when hen house will be ready - I will let you all know!

Comment

We had an eglu as our first henhouse and I loved it - the design, the ease of cleaning, the lot (except the price)
            We even used it when we emigrated as a transportation container for the hens in the back of the car !!

Now we have more chooks, OH had to build a wooden one. We did pinch some of the design features of the eglu such as the pull-out dropping tray and removable bars.

However he is a joiner. Made it from shuttering plywood coated with rather fetching green fence-life treatment (only colour the store had in that day)

Comment

I have an eglu cube where my five lovely ex bats live. The cube actually is for ten hens. However, the run (I felt) was too small, so Hubby built a huge walk in run and the cube is inside that. It is easy to clean and off the ground so I do'nt have to bend down. The poop trays are easy to empty, likewise the nestbox. During the day, after the hens have laid their eggs, I take off the back of the cube which gives them extra roosting space to fly up into. I was lucky because my cousin gave me some money to start my henkeeping. I had 'ummed and arred' for three years while making up my mind whether to keep hens. I think I drove her mad with my constant chicken talk and 'should I should'nt I' debates, so this decided it for me. I adore my hens and my little flock are very happy. Whatever housing you put them in, they will love it. I have to admit though....a heart window would look sooo cute!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X