Would love Ducks and Chickens!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would love Ducks and Chickens!

Hi everyone! I've been having a right good think about getting chickens for over a year now, but have not been able to due to lack of funds. Now we are in a much better position to get some. The kids have a large wooden playhouse in the garden that they never play in and have said we can use that as the chicken house. It's approx 9 feet wide, 4 deep and is one of those wendy house that has a ladder and upstairs bit so it's quite roomy. Inside I noticed some weeny chinks of daylight coming through so will I need to seal all this. I'll be putting down a large wooden tray inside so that I can pull it out and clean it properly. Also, will chickens and ducks be happy together in the same house?, thinking of getting 2 of each (already got a pond for ducks!). Many thanks for all your help!
    Eden

Hi Eden, sounds like a great project for you. Ducks and chickens can co-exist in the same house, but there are differences - ducks don't really do ramps whereas chickens are happy with them. Also you might find ducks won't take themselves into the house at night, which chickens are usually quite good at. Ducks (most of them) don't perch, so the house shouls have a bit where the ducks can roost where they are not under a chicken perch - otherwise they will get pooped on!

I wouldn't worry about blocking up all the chinks unless they are big enough for a predator to get in, because a bit of ventilation is good.

I would recommend you get a couple of books, there are some good ones in the "Starting with..." series and also anything by Katie Thear is good.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

many thanks Birdie, the playhouse is big enough for a 'chicken' side and a 'duck' so all will be happy!

Comment

that was meant to say side after 'duck' sorry! Must be all the excitement!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X