Have I forgotten anything?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I forgotten anything?

My 4 hens are due to arrive on Saturday and I'm just having a last-minute panic! OH has built a lovely large coop and run for them, totally wired in on a concrete base (where the old shed used to be) and we've been out shopping for bits, but I'm worried that I've forgotten something (other than a wormer, which is on my list to buy). OK, so far, we've got:
    Feeder, drinker, grit bowl
    Layers pellets
    Mixed corn
    Mixed grit
    Hemcore (for bedding) to go on top of soil & gravel bedding
    Mite powder
    Is there anything that you think I might have forgotten or that would help someone with no experience of hens at all!

The only thing I can see missing from your list is a comfy chair & time

You're going to need plenty of it to sit and watch your girls. Spend some time in the run with them as well so they get used to you.

Seriously, they are quite reisilient, and as long as they have somewhere to bed down for the night, food,water & grit you can always get anything else at a later date.
    Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Coop?

Sounds like you're sorted, hens are very forgiving of mistakes so don't be worried about them, they will settle in and be going about their chickeny business in no time!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

LOL. Thanks for the reassurance! Have already planned a seat for the run, though think we might have to bring in a cushion if the birds are going to use it too! Am very glad we've gone for a totally weld-mesh run as a fox went through the rubbish bins last night.

Comment

Sounds good to me Only one thing i can think of is getting a new compost bin just for the hemcore/crap
          Injoy your new chicks, you want regret it .
          Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Thanks, Dave! Was already beginning to worry about that! Have been building up to emptying as much out of the compost bin as possible before the chicks arrive! Hopefully the fact that Hemcore is quicker to compost may mean that we have a quicker turnover than previously!

Comment

Used bedding from the hen house will compost quickly anyway. Chicken poo is an excellent compost activator....
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Ladder, mirror, and a little bell???

A friend on the allotment site has 12 hens (10 rescue) and I love going over and watching them and yes, I do talk to them!! So I agree with ChrisB - make sure you've got the comfy chair.

Have fun.
                Last edited by Gwyndy; 18-06-2008, 04:59 PM.
                Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Camera! We need pics please.
                  Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X