chicken nut case?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicken nut case?

My bantam ,pekin cross silkie,has been very bossy to the other bantams.Now though i've caught her trying to mate one of them!They have both laid eggs today,although ,the boss Romany,has left a lot of soft breast feathers in the nest box.Any ideas of whats up or is this normal behaviour?There are just the three bantam hens together,(for the last two and a half weeks.)Perhaps she'll crow next!

pretty normal, chickens can preform full but infertile sex changes if kept in female only groups, I dont think this is what yours is doing, the Boss chook will often show some male behavior traits, nothing to worry about.
    My ducks used to do it a lot, hilarious to watch a 3 kilo alsbury mating with a 1 kilo campbell, and trying to stay afloat!
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Thanks yoanbob,Why does she leave the other hen out?Well,except to bully her.(She isnt laying yet.)Bet it was funny to see your ducks!does this behaviour stop?They all seem very healthy other than that.

Comment

It just means the middle one is her special friend, shes just letting the other one know where she sits in the pecking order, firmly at the bottom!
        no it doesnt stop but it may lessen when they are a bit more settled in a couple of months.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Thank you so much,i guess i worry too much,but i feel that i must do my best for these dear little funny things that depend on me so much.I have just taken out their evening treat that they are tucking into(bullied harriet last inthe queue)hopefully things will settle down a bit as you say.Hopefully bossy Romany wont start crowing!!lol.

Comment

Dominant females quite often do this to other females ... dogs do it, guinea pigs do it. She's establishing/maintaining the pecking order!
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              dogs do it, guinea pigs do it
              bees do it, even educated fleas do it

Jokes aside
              good reading .Il be getting my new ones soon :P nice to ready about there habits
              Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X