Advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

I am in the process of building a chicken house/run. I have a lot of sheep mesh lying around if I put this on the floor or the run it should deter foxes from digging under & in. Would it do any harm to the birds feet as they scratch?

What guage is sheep mesh? Is it that 4" square stuff? It shouldn't do much harm but as the hens scratch around they will dig hole - you could then have a problem of thin wire in 'open space' and then you could have cause for concern - the wire may be thin enough to hurt them if they try to stand on it.

Instead of 'underwireing' try adding a 'skirt' to the outside of the run, pegging it down each time you move it - tent pegs or greenhouse pegs work well. The skirt needs to be about 8"-12" wide and preferably chicken mesh or some other 1"-2" mesh this will stop Mr. Fox digging beside the run and hopefully prevent access.
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Got to ask another one!! I went to the diy store to buy structural timbers for the roof, eaves & bottom foot frame. Thought getting treated ones may save me some time. However no one there could tell me what exactly what they have been treated with. Is it worth buying them or should I buy untreated & do 'em myself. I worked for a farmer when I was a kid & we creosoted everything that didn't move, but that was 50 years ago I'm sure there's something better & less caustic to eye's & skin now. Any recommendations?

Comment

I dont know the name of the stuff but it says on the tin that it can be used in animal housing
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X