Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent laying.

Hello,
    Out of our three aracana's 1 never lays , 1 lays now and again & 1 lays nearly every day . Could anybody offer any advice as to why they are so hit and miss , there daily routine is always the same and they have a free run of the garden but don't eat as much layers pellets now its getting warmer as there are alot more bugs and things about.

Cheers
    p54jes.

Wow - you are having a few problems with them aren't you!

If I remember correctly they should now be around 10-11 months old, mine - as around 13 months - lays around 4-5 eggs a week.

It should be noted that pure breeds such as these are far more variable in their laying than a hybrid and it will depend to a large extent on the strain of Araucana you have. If they are a show strain their egg laying potential will be lower that if they are a utility strain.

The one that never lays - are you sure? Given all three will be laying nearly identical eggs it may be hard to tell. I don't know how long you have been keeping hens, but I got my Araucana very 'early' in my hen keeping history and got suckered. I was told the bird was around 4 months old and at POL when in fact it was probably more like 12 weeks and as we both know Araucanas are very late to mature at around 9-10 months.

So the upshot of that is - bide your time, it could just be she is a late developer.

As to the one that only lays occasionally - I would suggest a show strain bird with poor egg capacity - lovely to look at but not quite what you were after.

Hindsight is, as always, a perfect science and perhaps more questions should have been asked at purchase. The breeding history, average laying of the parent hen, show stock reject or utility strain...... I know I'm guilty of not asking any of the above.

On a sour note if you got the girls so they could produce a good dozen eggs a week for you I'm afraid it isn't likely to happen. On the plus side you will never be inundated!

Sorry not to have all the answers.

Terry
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Oops

Just found a clutch of eggs hidden in part of the garden ,8 in all just the number of days that I thought she had stopped laying for. thanks for the advice obviously I need to be a bit more observant. Still have one of my girls that hasn't laid any yet though.
      Cheers
      P54jes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X