Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7,000 battery hens looking for allotments...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7,000 battery hens looking for allotments...

Hello again all! I am picking myself off the floor having just been offered 7,000 ex-battery hens, due to be dogfood in June. No definite date yet - first he said 6 to 8 weeks, then he thought about it and said "more like 4 really". He was happy for me to take as many as I wanted. Right now, I'd be struggling to find homes for 1% of these - but every one of them we can put in an allotment is a precious spark of life, so I want to let you all know, in case you have space for an extra one or two, or know anyone else who is looking. If I can get a big rescue together, (big to me is anything over 30!) I'd also be keen to hear from anyone who can help with the rescue itself, or with transport, boxes, co-ordination points etc. My suburban front drive is fine for offloading 50 to patient rehomers, but would not be much good for 500..... The farm is near spalding in Lincolnshire. Do please contact me by PM or email if you have any suggestions. Love, Carly

Good luck carley, cant take any the mo as mr fox is too sly, I which you well though.
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

hope youmanage to rehome them we're not allowed them on our site, good luck
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

We'd love 5 or 6, but am in Manchester, so dont think it would be feasible, sorry! Good luck with finding them homes tho! Let us know how you get on!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

WOW!! I'm sat here thinking how quickly I could make a bit more room for a couple and if I could help in any way.
          I'll have a think and PM you with my email and phone number if I get any flashes of inspiration.

Kirsty
          Kirsty b xx

Comment

Would love to offer some a home but too far away sorry. Hoping to get some from our local rescue co-ordinator later this summer. Good luck with the rescue.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Lincolnshire is a bit of trek for me but I can help if you ned it London side, as I'm North London too. We're not allowed chicken on the lottie either and I can't have any more pets at home as I think the house will split it's seams!
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Like Shortie, I could possibly help on the London side. I won't be able to take any though - he who holds the purse-strings says no (and has been saying no for several years now) and we're not allowed them on the lottie.

Comment

Do they have to be on allotments ? What's wrong with suitable private gardens ?
                  As I read it most allotment holders are forbidden to keep livestock there. I can understand the reasons for that.
                  Hope you get homes for as many as you can. Most of them end up as food - for whoever.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Wish you well, but like shirl distance and timing is a prob, I am intending to extend our site later this year to allow a few more, though she who must be obeyed doesn't know yet

good luck.
                    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

If I win the lottery tonight I'll take the lot!! It breaks my heart to think of these lovely friendly girls going to feed our other four-legged friends. I know I'm too soft-hearted and this is what the birds were bred for, but I still don't like it. I can't help at the mo because I'm picking up another 3 to join my 6 on Saturday. Best of luck and fingers crossed that many of them find new homes
                      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Awww I wish I could help. I live quite a way away and my plot isn't in any fit state at the moment but I do wish you all the luck and I'll pass the word around in case anyone else can help.

Good Luck.
                        Last edited by Rockhag; 21-05-2008, 09:48 PM.
                        Gardening Blog:
                        http://dig-for-victory.livejournal.com/

Comment

hi carly ive pm'd you as my friend is looking for some and is not far from lincoln sadly she cant take 7000 or any cockrals but can definatly take a small number good home waiting, i left my email for you to contact me on the pm, it feels like a case tescos with the amount every little helps if those who live near and can take some we may be able to rescue quite a few, sadly i cant take any myself but i have a large network of friends who i can pass on details too and some of them may be able to offer some a home as some of them keep chickens so let me know.

Comment

Hello! Thank you for good wishes - I work on a southerners "Up north" version of geography I'm afraid, but for this rescue we will have a co-ordinator centre in North Yorkshire, so wonder if there is any possibility of liaising via there?

Some help at the rescue here would be great - I'm near South Mimms, and will be bringing a load back here (others are going off in various directions....) Help counting heads and clipping toenails as they come out of the boxes would be most welcome!

Thank you for your offer of help on the day - I'm near S Mimms and some help would be really great. Could you send me an email - carly@northlondonhenrescue.org.uk - as it makes it easier to keep track of everyone if I have their email.

Oh, sorry! No, of course gardens are the place (I don't even have an allotment except in my dreams; was just trying to be tactful since this is an allotment site!) Thank you for your note. let me know if you'd like a hen or two.....

We all have to sneak the odd hen past our longsuffering loved ones when they're not looking!
                            Let me know if you ever do decide to get some (more?) as I can often arrange transport.

Thank you so much for your support! Yes, "every little helps" is the best kept secret for all these hens - all over the country there are thousands of hens going to lovely new lives, and all in twos and threes, not thousands at a time. Do please give my email to anyone who might be interested - and not just in London area, as we seem to have co-ordination centres springing up all over the place for this rescue!

Thank you so much for your lovely message! And love to you and all of yours....Carly xxxx

If you'd be interested in exploring this, do please email me on carly@northlondonhenrescue.org.uk.
                            Best wishes! carly
                            Last edited by Shortie; 22-05-2008, 12:47 PM. Reason: Merging posts

Comment

Carly, I will take 3 for myself and I'm spreading the word among people I know. I am willing to help as a collection point if you get any Cambs/Suffolk homers.
                              Do you ask a donation per bird like the 50p the BHWT do?

Kirsty
                              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X