Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perch question

Hi,

I've just thought of another question re the new hens.

Right now they are loose in a barn and I've read about having to teach hens to sit on a perch, (usually in the ex bat situation) How do you teach them to, is it by placng them on it gently? Or would they just hop up out of curiosity if they've always had space to move around.

Thanks again.
    Beth

Hi if they have never done it they might need teaching. I woudl creep in after dark and gently move them onto the perches. They should soon get the hang of it. Ours werne't ex batts but had never had perches and got the hang within 3 days! Clever girls.

Also make sure the perches are suitable for them, for instance they need to champered off a bit, not too square, but on the other hand a broom handle isn't suitable either as too smooth.

They normally want to sleep in the highest places so make sure your nest box is lower than the perches and keep it nice and dark. If they sleep in there it's ok but means you may get dirty or squished eggs so best if they don't. Again, you can move them after dark

Hope this helps, janeyo

Comment

Perches

Hi,
      Thanks ever so much. We got the henhouse up last night, our only concern was we built a broomstick perch as it didn't come with one. David will rough it up a bit. It is oldy worldy not a smooth new ones, so shouldn't need much. This morning we go and pick up the hens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth

Comment

Perching

Hi Beth

How exciting! Congrats on your news chooks!

My girls were rescued from a farm where they had never used perches. We screwed a couple of chunky branches into the coop but we had a few laughs getting the hens to use them. After the inital settling-in period I decided it was time to train the girls in the art of perching, so off I trot up the garden after dark to give it a whizz. One of the hens was sat outside in the run so I picked her up and lifted her into the coop and carefully placed her feet on the perch. She leaned forward a bit and promptly fell face first onto one of her pals who was sitting underneath!!!

We did get there in the end though, and now they all seem to take it in turns to perch two at a time.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Debs

Comment

Perch query

Hi,

Thanks for advice.
          Got hens and all seems to be going well. Have posted a new thread about their arrival etc.

Beth

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X