Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 settled bantams - what should we get to join them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 settled bantams - what should we get to join them?

We've recently lost our best egglayer - a Gingernut Ranger called Maudie, and are left with 2 bantams. They don't seem overly bothered by their loss - Doris was always a noisy fusspot anyway and Patricia is too stupid to realise that Maudie's' not there anymore.

We're wanting to get a new egglayer to add to the flock and suspect that it's probably wise to get 2 new hens. Is this the case?

Any suggestions as to what we should get? Would ex battery hens 'fit in' with two relatively settled bantams, or should we get some more Gingernuts at POL (Maudie was a brilliant egglayer - 1 every day without fail, throughout the winter). Or even some chicks for Patricia to bring up herself - she's stupid but would make a great Mum! Any advice welcomed - we miss our eggs.

I'd say your options are very much open! Hatching your own chicks is hugely satisfying but there is the problem of spare cockerels. You can get day old chicks (some breeds can be sexed at day-old) to raise but unless Patricia has been broody and sitting on eggs for a couple or three weeks, she's unlikely to accept them I would think, then you'd be stuck looking after them yourself, which requires more equipment and time. Also, be aware that while she's raising chicks, she won't be laying any eggs either. Other options - you could get some 'growers' which are young chickens, they are ready to leave their mum at around 6 weeks so your growers will probably be 6 - 8 weeks old, they are able to look after themselves but won't give you eggs for at least another month or two. Battery hens would be fine I think, if they start bullying your bantams at least there are two bantams so they won't be without a friend! There is always a risk of bullying with whatever you get in any case, my advice would be to avoid hens which are known to be generally feisty in nature (eg Black Rocks, and most game breeds) and let them get on with it.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

try ducks, they are great fun and very good egg layers, we have Indian Runners, silver appleyard, magpie, welsh campbell and cherry valley. The cherry valley is a very good layer.
      All have different personalities and you don't need much water we fill up a kids sand pit but they much prefer wandering around eating the slugs and snails. You can get ducks from rescue centres as well as breeders.
      Dave.
      All great things are simple and many can be expressed in single words, Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Love, Hope.
      Sir Winston Churchill.

Comment

I have two Silver Sussex's who are very docile but i would love some bantams! Could i keep to bantams with my two existing chickens or would they get bullied too much??

Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X