X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Hens -

Hi Everyone
    I wonder if there is anyone out there who can help me
    Hopefully here is a pic of Nicky one of my lovely 15 ex batts, is there anyone who could tell me what breed she is, or what hybrid cross? Do these ex batts have a name or number? This picture was taken a month ago, they are all doing fantastically - I would recommend ex batts highly!

Its just a few hens are turning out to be beautiful, and I was thinking of showing one in a local show so people can see how lovely they are...

Any help would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Sally
    Last edited by Sally; 29-03-2008, 09:55 PM. Reason: Picture didn't work

The hens are typical ex batts browny - some lighter and buffy, some more red colour, with larger combs...

Comment

ISA Brown?

Image:ISA Browns, Pengo.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      You are a child of the universe,
      no less than the trees and the stars;
      you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Battery hens are usually a brown utility breed called ISA Brown - it's a Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White cross, hence you get minor variations in colour depending on which genes they have inherited from the parents. They grow a large comb because it's hot inside the battery sheds - it will usually shrink a bit as they get acclimatised to outdoor life.

Good luck with the show!

Comment

Hi
          Thankyou so much for the replys! That explains alot, know I know why they vary in colour, and why some have really large combs. Thanks again, you live and learn!
          Sally

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X