Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hen losing feathers around the tail

Hi,

We've just got 2 POL hens - a barnevelder and a light sussex. I was told when we bought them that the barnevelder was moulting and that this was normal, but since I'm a novice I've been a bit concerned by the fact that I've read that hens aren't supposed to moult till they're around a year old.

Also, she seems to only be losing feathers around her tail. Meanwhile, the light sussex isn't losing any.

I was just wondering if I'm worrying over nothing or if there might be something amiss.

Thanks very much for any help
    "Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."

Hi it could be early moult, but I would check them for lice or mites as these will make them loose feathers especially round the vent
    Mum to two boys trying to self sufficient
    rearer of rare breeds

Comment

Hi, I'm no expert - getting my first birds at the end of May, but I'm currently reading everything chicken related that I can get my hands on and I believe that 'vent pecking' is one of those nasty little vices that chooks go in for. I also think that an initial attack of red mite can begin in the vent area, but would imagine that to be less likely as only one is showing signs. As they're new is it possible that one is bullying the other whilst they establish a pecking order? I'm sure that many other more learned grapes will be along soon with knowledgeable suggestions. Hope you sort things out
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I'd back up the other suggestions - check for lice first (they will look like clusters of powdery stuff at the base of the feathers), and if you don't find anything, your sussex may be the problem. There are various ways to discourage persistent feather-pulling, including nasty-tasting sprays and even plastic "nose-rings" that prevent them from closing their beaks tight to grip the feathers, but it's best to eliminate other possibilities before resorting to those.

I'm afraid that part of being a chicken-keeper is having to look at their bums

Comment

Such a delightful subject!

Are your birds hand tame yet? If not then I'm afraid you need to corner the bird in question, grab it - tucking the wings down and then I find the best way to look at the vent is to turn the bird upside down - this generally has the advantage of calming the bird (heven knows why) so you can have a good look. The skin should be a normal pink - not red or inflamed and the feather bases should look clean, no dark flecks or powder like residue. While you have hold of her look over all her feathers and give her a redmite dusting - never hurts to be cetain.
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X