Two chickens and a dog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two chickens and a dog

Over the weekend I was bought a pair of chickens as a present. While this was a lovely thought I seriously have no idea what I need to do. I was also bought a chicken house and small run with food and water bowls. I have had a read through some of the other posts and looking after them seems reasonable enough. Are there any obvious things I need to be aware of?

The cold weather is also worrying me. Is there anything I need to do to help the girls through the cold nights?

My final question is that I have a rather young, bouncy lab cross who is very interested in the girls and loves to chase anything that moves. Has anyone found some tactics that I could use to ensure all three of them can use the garden together? I would dearly love this to happen especially during the summer months.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks
    Last edited by newtogardens; 18-02-2008, 06:11 PM.

Hello and welcome to the vine Newtogardens.
    Sorry I can't be any good of advice with your chicken and dog, hopefully other experienced grapes will come along soon.
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Hi Newtogardens

Congratulations on getting your chooks. They seem to have all they need, but don't forget to give them a few fresh greens, and grit as they don't have any teeth. You can get a lot of good tips on here if you look at past posts. I have chickens and they seem to be fine with the cold weather we're having at the moment. I can't advise on the dog issue, but my cats soon got used to them.

I hope you enjoy your chooks.

Kind regards
      Tracey
      Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Hi newtogardens

I have two large bouncy boxers who take A LOT of interest in my chickens!! Thankfully the dogs live at home with us and the chooks live down the road on the allotment.

My dogs don't mean any harm, they just want to play and I'm sure the same is true of your hound.

I would suggest a run for the hens so that the dog can see them, but can't get to them or an electric fence if you can because then you would be able to move them around the garden so one area in particular didn't get fouled.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Kirsty
        Last edited by kirsty b; 18-02-2008, 07:34 PM.
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

I dont know anything about chicken keeping, but would suggest you get a couple of good books...quickly.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

New chooks

Hi,
            You won't look back after getting your girls , my wife brought me the book "Keeping pet chickens" by Johannes Paul and William Windham. Its a good read with everthing you will need to know in it.You can also search on this forum,its full of good advice.

p54jes

Comment

Check out the eglu website too - it's fantastic for beginners and it's even got stuff like pictures of chook poo if they've eaten too many slugs!!!

Comment

Hi there newtogardens, what a lovely present! You right though, you'll have to manage the dog/chicken situation very carefully. If you want the chickens to be able to free range in the garden with the dog too, he/she will have to realise very early on that chickens are off limits - telling them off in mid-chase is too late - as soon as you see the dog taking an unhealthy interest in the chickens, it's a firm 'NO'.

When I was looking after my neighbour's dog, he was the same, wanting to play/chase the chickens. At the time he could only see them through the side gate, so I made him lie down at the side gate (whether he wanted too or not!) where he could see the chickens. After a while he got bored and wanted to wander off but I made him go back and look at the chickens again and again until chickens were the last thing he wanted to see!! It does seem to have cured him, he still chases rabbits etc but not chickens

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

When we got our first set of chickens we had 2 dogs, one middle aged fella and a young puppy. Our chickens have always been free range, from day one they were put in the coop for a day or so, then let out to do as they wish.
                  The older dog had an initial interest, sniffing and curiosity but soon lost interest. He also knew that he wasnt to touch, as I ensured I told him sternly when the chooks came near.
                  The young pup was a different matter completely. He was only 3 months old, we got him as a very hungry boy indeed and he used to eat anything, and I mean anything.
                  A month later 6 walking dinners appeared on the scene. First morning he was in the coop and had eaten one, almost whole. Precious little evidence left but enough to know it was him. Next day, he killed and half ate another one, but this time I caught him at it, and for the only time in either dogs life, I gave him a proper smack on the nose.
                  Day 3, he was in the coop again, but I saw him go in and hoofed him out.
                  Finally we bought an electric fence and put it round the coop, which worked straight away. He avoided the coop but as soon as the girls were out he was interested. To be honest it took a month or so before I was completely happy to let the puppy out with the chickens but now, 2 years on the puppy is now grown up and pathetic. He sits outdoors most of the day (by choice) on our porch and the chickens physically climb over him, come through the cat flap and into the kitchen where they eat his food from his bowl.
                  This isnt to say that yours will be like this, Labs are generally very playful dogs, mine are 2 shephards that have both come from working families, so I am sure the transition will be much smoother, but just to let you know what can happen.
                  With the cold issue, in 2 winters we havent lost one to cold, and our girls live in a wooden coop with a concrete base with straw on the floor. As long as they have some shelter, they cooch together and are fairly hardy creatures
                  Last edited by bobleponge; 19-02-2008, 12:22 PM. Reason: Senility, forgot the cold question
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Hi I have heard that you can throw a chicken at a dog to scare the dog and they never go near them again. Does no lasting damage to the chicken either. No idea if it works as my chickens only encounter cats adn they soon put them in their place!

It might be an idea to get another chicken though as if one keels over and karks it the one left will be very sad as they are flock birds. Best to always start with 3!

They are great creatures, enjoy!

You will also need vermx to worm them, disinfectant to clean them out, try and move them if poss as they like fresh grass under them. Hang some greens up, mine love carrot tops and cauliflower, chuck them tomatoes or grapes or raisins and you will be their friend for life. Also if you feed them corn, do it sparingly or they can get fat and not lay I am told. They might need something to keep them occupied like some old cds hanging p to interest them. nd keep an eye out for redmite as they will not wantt o go in the coop if they are lurking!

janeyo

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                      Hi newtogardens

I have two large bouncy boxers who take A LOT of interest in my chickens!! Thankfully the dogs live at home with us and the chooks live down the road on the allotment.

My dogs don't mean any harm, they just want to play and I'm sure the same is true of your hound.

I would suggest a run for the hens so that the dog can see them, but can't get to them or an electric fence if you can because then you would be able to move them around the garden so one area in particular didn't get fouled.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Kirsty
                      I also have 2 large bouncy boxers who take way too much of an interest in the chickens!

They'll never be allowed to interact, as I don't think the dogs will ever learn to be calm (not just around the chickens)....

I just move the chicken run around on a 2 or 3 daily basis...

Comment

I totally agree that dogs should never be left unsupervised with chickens. Your chickens will be much safer in a run, my girls are allowed out with the dog but only under very close supervision.
                        Also my dog is 11 and very placid, as a pup I spent months training her not to chase any other animal - I did it by rewarding positive behaviour.
                        I kept her on a lead and walked her thro my friends chickens regularly - I gave her dog treats, then progressed to making her sit and wait while I fed the chix before she got her treat.
                        She has never reacted in any way to my chix but one of the chix goes for her at times! So it is not wise to leave even the best natured, well trained dog alone with chix.
                        I hope you enjoy your chix and good luck with the dog training!!

Comment

I have a dog (border collie) two cats and now three chickens.

I introduced the dog slowly - just left the chickens in the run and Hazel ran around them sniffing etc.

When I let them out I told her to 'leave' - eventually she's gotten used to them. I can now leave them happily out in the garden together. My problem is when I go out - she then chases the chickens away from me consumed with jealousy lol

Jan

sorry meant to say I do feel it depends on breed alot
                          Last edited by witch-1; 29-02-2008, 07:14 PM.
                          Jan A novice gardener - first year of growing

Comment

good luck - i am getting my girls tomorrow!

you may find if your dog is scaring the girls that they may get put off lay.

chickens will naturally convert energy to fat to keep warm and they do have a lot of fethers so the cold isn't a problem unless it is bitter wind in which case put up a screen.

otherwise there should be no problem.
                            All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                            For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Lucky you. Ive had my girls about 6 months now, Hannah the pooch {15yrs} was a bit jealous at first, but its all friends together now. Mind you I think its the scraps she's more interested in than Betty or Meg! Good luck with them and savour those delicious eggs they'll start to lay soon.
                              Dont forget to compost the old straw and chicken poo for your veg plot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X