Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to chose a hen house

Hi everyone,

I really want to branch out from my veggies and wine and get myself some feathery friends I have wanted to give it a go for some time. Unfortunately the other half is more than a little reluctant especially when he saw the price of the hen houses. So my question is can anyone recommend a good supplier of hen houses that are reasonably priced oh and have a run (I'll let them roam free when I'm there but don't want them stuck in when I'm not there to supervise)? What is a reasonable price, and what should I be looking for? Oh and while I'm interrogating you any suggestions on whether I should have bantams or larger hens?

I only want to keep two or three as there is only two of us and I don't want to end up with millions of eggs. I am going to build up a nice case and put it to him. Me thinks I need to do a bit more reading
    Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

You could start with a rabbit hutch for about £40. As long as the girls are able to get out for a run about during the day. Once your partner gets to love the girls you'll find you can have whatever you want.

Comment

If you have bantams, you would probably get away with using a dog kennel - have you looked in your free ads for houses etc. I think you could probably keep two or three in a kennel - as long as they have a run as well - easily knocked up with 3' x 3' panels and a piece of mesh over the top to keep them from flying out. I am sure that there will be plenty of suggestions! Give it a go and have fun, they are just the funniest things!

Comment

remember if space is an issue, minature hens lay as well as their large fowl counterparts but are probably a quarter of the size but lay 3/4 size eggs (if that makes sense).
        We have an australorp bantam and a wyandotte bantam both of which are lovely. The wyandotte is still very young but the australorp (24weeks) lays 4 out of 7 days and the eggs weigh about 45g.

mel

Comment

could you make one yourself? considerably cheaper.

Comment

Possibly with a little help from other half hes quite handy with that sort of thing.

I have been looking further into the subject now and have decided I would be best with bantams as they are to be kept in the garden. Although he's coming round he suggested we have ducks instead has anyone kept ducks and can they give me any idea of the pros and cons of them as a pose to chickens??
            Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

Hi Elmo - I only kept one set of ducks, 3 Ayelsbury's who sadly died about 2 years ago but I do keep too many chickens . Ducks on the whole have a shorter laying season and quite a few people don't like their eggs - they also tend to soil the ground worse than chickens, you would also need to provide them with water of some sort and not just for drinking! Given the choice between the 2 I would pick chickens every time just in case you didn't realise
              www.poultrychat.com

Comment

you don't say poultrychat what a suprise

Comment

Chickens are theraputic, ducks are amusing. However, ducks will turn your grass into a mud pit in the winter. You can combine the two, but I would suggest that you put the ducks on hardstanding for the winter with some woodchippings/ bark on the ground. They will 'dabble' and make little holes in the grass as well, but are much better at slug control I believe and at least they won't dast bath in you rose bed!

As for building a house. The main requirements are that they have somewhere dry and draught free. An old wendy house or small shed can be converted quite quickly and cheaply. You do need to be able to shut them away at night in case of foxes.
                  Last edited by CountryFayre; 21-05-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I spent all last night drawing up plans for my 'Bantam Palace' I have decided to start with a cheap rabbit hutch and tongue and grove the sides to double skin it block off the front mesh but leave a gap in the top for ventilation build a nest box and roost and put a sliding door in the side. To this I am going to add a detachable run for my little girls to play in when I am at work and can't keep an eye on them .

I decided Bantams will be the best choice for my situation after reading up on them, normal size chooks and ducks. Bought the complete chicken encyclopedia and am now very excited. Next job is searching for breeders in the area, any suggestions??

Comment

good luck with the palace! I'm sure they'll love it. If you check out practical poultry mag there is a list of breeders in there. Do you know what you want in terms of bantams? A search should be quite easy when you do. Its always good to have an idea before you go and visit someone or they will all win your heart!
                      Our primary reason for chickens was egg production so I reasearched the bantams which would provide us with a reasonable yield and not be particularly broody (don't forget though that the bantams as any pure breeds will stop laying for a period over winter whereas hybrids live for a shorter time but lay through winter too).

Mel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X