Chickens & Ducks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickens & Ducks

I was thinking of getting a couple of ducks. Now then I already have a number of chickens, do ducks and chickens get along? Could they share the same housing and run?

Thanks guys.
    Atomic Apple Design

"It is a cliché that most clichés are true, but then like most clichés, that cliché is untrue."

I have kept Khaki Campbells with chicken in the past and they seem quite happy providing you have a big enough house for them. Ducks roost in straw on the ground (well mine did) and preferably not underneath the chicken!

Comment

i like janco kept khaki campbells with chickens they got on fine i left the ducks onto the kitchen garden they eat alot of slugs but they also like lettuce
      one years weed is seven years seed

Comment

Duckies and chooks should get on fine. The lace where I went to buy my ducks had all kinds of ducks and chickens happiy living together. Oh, and by the way, if you need any help with ducks feel free to ask me. Keep them. They are brill! And it would be a good idea to build a duck hut for the ducks. Duck accomadation is simpler than chook huts. a simple wooden box with a ramp/door and a removable roof, with a load of meadow hay on the bottom should be fine.
        Last edited by Qwerty; 09-06-2008, 06:58 PM.
        Qwerty

Save the earth- its the only planet with campervans!

Comment

they get on brilliantly, we kept our chooks and ducks seperate at night but in the same shed with a venitian blind between them, only because the chooks liked to scratch around in the nests the ducks made and the eggs would get covered in duck poo from the bedding being disturbed.
          make sure you have a bowl of clean water deep enough for them to bathe their eyes as well as swimming water.
          the chooks and ducks would often sleep in a line like sardines in a shady spot, very cute.
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X